Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dsanchez562

RVF Regular
Hello all. I am wondering why my generator does not start unless I start up the engine on my rv. House and coach batteries are fully charged up. Can anyone give any suggestions on what to look for?

What generator do you have? Does it even turn over when trying to start? Is there a breaker or cutoff somewhere that you may have to turn on? Some generators are connected to chassis batteries but I don't know what RV you have either. Please complete your forum profile from the links in my signature. The more info you provide the better people here can help you.

Hello all. I am wondering why my generator does not start unless I start up the engine on my rv. House and coach batteries are fully charged up. Can anyone give any suggestions on what to look for?
Sometimes overlooked are the cable terminals. 14.4 will make it through corrosion, better than 12.6

Gas or diesel??

What generator do you have? Does it even turn over when trying to start? Is there a breaker or cutoff somewhere that you may have to turn on? Some generators are connected to chassis batteries but I don't know what RV you have either. Please complete your forum profile from the links in my signature. The more info you provide the better people here can help you.
The generator is an Onan. It does turn ever but it seems like the battery is dead. The battery is fully charged. The rv I have is a greyhawk 26DS.

Gas engine needs fuel, air and ignition to work. Start by eliminating the 3 possible items. In the old days, we sprayed some starting fluid in the air intake and turn it over with the starter. If it starts briefly, it means your fuel delivery is a suspect. Most likely fuel pump or fuel filter etc.
check the ignition by removing the spark plug, attach it to the ignition wire and ask someone to turn over the engine while you are touching the side of the spark plug to the cylinder (ground). If you see a spark, it is not the ignition..(don’t get shocked. It is painful:)
These are the basics. It maybe something more serious internally, but that’s work for a professional mechanic.

You say that your generator "does turn over but you think the battery is dead". Those two things don't add up for me. Is it simply turning over too slowly to start? If yes, its possibly a dead or dying battery that can't deliver enough amps to spin a starter motor vigorously. A simple measurement of a battery's voltage is not enough to say that it is fully charged. If it can't deliver a lot of amps, its dead. Charge it up as best you can and then get the battery "load tested" at any well equipped auto parts store - this is typically a free test.

Or, as Kevin explains above, you could have corroded battery cables. They can look fabulous on the outside and even successfully pass a multimeter continuity test. But if too many strands of copper wire on the inside are broken, we are back to the same situation of not being able to deliver enough amps to spin a starter motor with enthusiasm.

Rick

You say that your generator "does turn over but you think the battery is dead". Those two things don't add up for me. Is it simply turning over too slowly to start? If yes, its possibly a dead or dying battery that can't deliver enough amps to spin a starter motor vigorously. A simple measurement of a battery's voltage is not enough to say that it is fully charged. If it can't deliver a lot of amps, its dead. Charge it up as best you can and then get the battery "load tested" at any well equipped auto parts store - this is typically a free test.

Or, as Kevin explains above, you could have corroded battery cables. They can look fabulous on the outside and even successfully pass a multimeter continuity test. But if too many strands of copper wire on the inside are broken, we are back to the same situation of not being able to deliver enough amps to spin a starter motor with enthusiasm.

Rick
Same battery starts the coach engine!

Latest resources

Back