Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

GetOutside

RVF Regular
Ford just announced a recall on certain Transits . Details are below, but the short story is that they didn't add enough rear axle lube. I checked mine this morning and found it was at least an inch below the inspection/filler plug (with a medium grey colored paste on the plug). My guess is it's slightly below the axle tubes, so likely not getting lube to the outer bearings. Scheduled it to be checked this Friday, but the Service Manager said their instructions were to top off the fluid if low and wait for further instructions. I've got 1900 miles on my Trail and haven't yet noticed any of the indicators in the recall yet.

Feb 09,2024
Manufacturer Recall Number24S05
NHTSA Recall Number24V102
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available
Summary YOUR VEHICLE MAY HAVE AN INADEQUATE AMOUNT OF LUBRICANT IN THE REAR AXLE, WHICH IS NEEDED TO PROPERLY COAT THE INTERNAL BEARINGS. INSUFFICIENT LUBRICANT MAY CAUSE THE BEARINGS TO OVERHEAT AND FAIL. YOU MAY INITIALLY EXPERIENCE GRINDING NOISE, BEARING WHINE, A BURNT ODOR, FLUID LEAKS, AND OR VIBRATION AT VARIOUS SPEEDS FROM THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE.
Safety Risk IF THE VEHICLE CONTINUES TO BE DRIVEN, REAR WHEEL LOCK-UP AND POSSIBLE DRIVESHAFT SEPARATION MAY OCCUR, RESULTING IN LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL OR LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER. DRIVESHAFT SEPARATION MAY RESULT IN UNINTENDED VEHICLE MOVEMENT WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN PARK IF THE PARKING BRAKE IS NOT APPLIED. THESE CONDITIONS INCREASE THE RISK OF CRASH OR INJURY.
Remedy FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS AUTHORIZED YOUR DEALER TO PERFORM AN INSPECTION OF THE REAR AXLE AND TO DETERMINE IF ADDITIONAL REPAIRS WILL BE NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE PARTS AND LABOR.
"Manufacturer's Notes "TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER

Probably related to this:

Latest resources

Back