Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Poor quality and build. annoying things I have had to fix.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mjeds

RVF VIP
I have a 2020 Highland Ridge Ultra Lite 2602RL

Now I did purchase it used, but it was built in March of 2020, originally sold in November of 2020, and I bought it in January of 2022, so the original owner had it for maybe a year.

there are some issues that have seriously annoyed me since my purchase, for a $40,000 rig (new) and the $28,000 I paid used, these things should not be an issue, it is poor quality control and horrible build quality.

I have posted already about the leaks in the plumbing do to the failure of the builders to properly crimp nearly ALL of the pex clamps.

1. Grey and Black Tank Sensors are stuck on full, I have tried all the possible ways of clearing/cleaning them, and they will work for a week or two, then stick on full again.
  2. The LCI panel will lose its Bluetooth connection to my phone, and then the app will wipe the settings and I will have to re-setup everything in the app, I've had to do this 4 times in 6 months, and it happened again today.
  3. the "fireplace" LCD display only works if I smack it, otherwise it won't tell me the temp or fan speed,
  4. the microwave table stopped turning, turns out the gear that turns the table broke, piece of luckily, I was able to order one on amazon and replace it myself, good thing I am a handy kind of guy.
  5. No several of the ceiling LED lights have started to dim or flicker, when I pulled one down, I discovered it was so damn hot it was leaving burn scars on the ceiling panel it was attached to. and guess why... because the idiot that installed it choose not to use the actual mounting holes in the light to secure it, but rather drill a screw through the metal plate, and on several of them nicked the LED circuit board, apparently causing a short, likely when the trailer moves/vibrates.

1707262264122.jpeg

the lights bothered me anyway as they are 6000k and too white, I prefer 3500k-4000k in the more yellow spectrum, especially when I am working on my computer, the white light gives me a headache, plus all the lights are on one switch, kitchen, living area, hallway.

so I went on amazon and found these replacement 4.5" lights that have a selector switch for the color and a on/off switch, so I can turn them off independently of the master switch, this way I only need to have on the lights I want on.

1707262590679.jpeg

overall, the build quality is just horrible, short cuts, laziness, untrained workers, poor quality parts from third party suppliers, I don't know what, but it is garbage.

I don't know how people justify spending north of $100,000 on Trailers and RV's because from what can tell this is normal across the industry.

I have always wanted a Pusher to live in and travel the country, but after dealing with this, no way I would spend a half million on something that has issues like this.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, but this is common with RV’s. I have purchased one trailer and two motorhomes brand new. The trailer was the most trouble free. The first motorhome went back to the factory for major repairs. There were many screws that slit the wood. Much wood was pressed board with essentially contact paper. Wheel covers held together with three pop rivets. By year four two broke and the wheels sonded like a rick ina tin can, plastic valve extenders which cracked and leaked. I could go on and on.

They had it all winter. Both had at least two dozen things that needed repair. Neither was cheap.

Some people have no issues, but I know people with new near million dollar machines, who are fixing things for several years, before it feels new.

Be patient. Fix what you find . Don’t be surprised if you have to modify or add a few things. Eventually, things will settle down and you will love it. Remember it is a house on wheels, so the more it bounces down the road , the more things may have to be addressed.

Your plumbing problems are not that they did not squeeze the clamps enough, it is that they are not designed, or rather the flexible garbage they use on pex style fittings is not correct. Watch this video. BIL wants a fiver

Your plumbing problems are not that they did not squeeze the clamps enough, it is that they are not designed, or rather the flexible garbage they use on pex style fittings is not correct. Watch this video. BIL wants a fiver
Not sure what video you are referring to

However every one of the ones I had issues with I was able to squeeze the clamp at least 3-4mm with my tool which stopped the leaking.

I went and replaced them all because I wanted to get rid of the plastic unions and install valves.

But crimping them down did resolve the issue. Which tells me they were not properly crimped.

PEX is great when done right however not uncommon for the crimping type to be done incorrectly. This causes leaks. There are 2 types of PEX the crimp style (which I do not care for) The other is the shrink collar which are far superior and do not leak.

Not sure what video you are referring to

However every one of the ones I had issues with I was able to squeeze the clamp at least 3-4mm with my tool which stopped the leaking.

I went and replaced them all because I wanted to get rid of the plastic unions and install valves.

But crimping them down did resolve the issue. Which tells me they were not properly crimped.
Post in thread 'BIL wants a fiver' BIL wants a fiver

Wemustrv brought up something I was thinking about (PEX-A and PEX-B)!!! they will both function well, but must not be interchanged. The systems don't play well together, but both work well when used as individual systems!!!

The video points out the RV industry has added another thing into the mix (hose)! Hose requires barbed fittings! PEX uses something else. If you see braided Hose, and it uses the crimp used on PEX it is worth determining that the fitting is infact a barbed fitting designed to be used with Hose!

Home depot now sells all three fittings (PEX-A, PEX-B,and Hose)!!!
If you aren't sure about the differences, take a field trip!!!

Is it worth understanding??? Of all things that can destroy an RV, plumbing is the only one that we have total control over!!! Roof leaks not so much, but water, is the enemy!!!

Yet the same people who buy these manufactured pieces of rolling garbage still look down on, as well as actively insult, those who build our own "RVs". And don't try to tell me otherwise, For every one that says it's okay, 100 or more start bashing. I AM a self converter. I've heard pretty much all the nasty things the buyers say. It always reminded me of similar things the people say who think that no one should homeschool their kids... usually the nicer ones say things along the lines of "only the professionals should do that". In the case of the RVs, I find it funny that I was qualified to work on multi-million dollar houses but unqualified to work on my own bus ($10K in "parts" and $1400 in the shell).

Yet the same people who buy these manufactured pieces of rolling garbage still look down on, as well as actively insult, those who build our own "RVs". And don't try to tell me otherwise, For every one that says it's okay, 100 or more start bashing. I AM a self converter. I've heard pretty much all the nasty things the buyers say. It always reminded me of similar things the people say who think that no one should homeschool their kids... usually the nicer ones say things along the lines of "only the professionals should do that". In the case of the RVs, I find it funny that I was qualified to work on multi-million dollar houses but unqualified to work on my own bus ($10K in "parts" and $1400 in the shell).
It is pretty well accepted that someone that converts a bus has already compromised on appearances. This is generally not a bad thing, just something many are not willing to do!

When they have the opportunity to see what you have created, they come to you for ideas. Mind you, they will call on a professional because they likely want better fit and finish! That only a cabinet shop will produce.

That is not saying you can't, just you compromised when you bought that bus!!! They say curb appeal sells the house!

The point!

Find joy in what you do, because at the end of the day, what others think, don't mean shite!!!

I'm a big time DIYer, I have restored a 1932 Ford 3 window, built a 1939 Ford Tudor restomod hot rod, and built 3 motorcycles from scratch over the past 40 years. I have also built 2 drag cars 800plus HP 1/4 mile demons. 1978 Trans Am and a 2005 Chrysler 300 CSRT.

My father, uncle and I built a custom 1929 T-bucket and I helped my Uncle build a car of his own design from scratch back in the 1990s.

I have a friend that did a bus conversion as well, took a tour bus and converted it to an RV,

All of us have major OCD about machines we build, quality and attention to detail is a major point with me.

I get very upset when I spend my hard-earned money on something that fails so miserably as this RV, the issues I have are stupid minor things that were overlooked and not corrected at the factory like they should have been, all in the name of saving a penny or two.

I mean the lights have mounting holes in them for 3 screws, why would you create 2 new holes just to save 1 screw?

Last edited:
I had a dream!!!

Well! I had something. While I slept last night this topic came full scale in my thoughts!

Some here know the reputation of a Westsail. this particular sailboat could be purchased at most levels of completion! So one could say it was like a Jim Walter's home.

Most people would run the other way with such an offering. But do you think a market would present itself, should a manufacturer offer a shell built to the level the customer requested???

Latest resources

Back