• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

SubVet-625B

RVF Newbee
TOW/TOAD
2023 Toyota Tundra 1794
My wife and I are getting ready to retire and will be purchasing our first RV later this year, We are looking at the Imagine XLS 23LDE. We are also looking at a similar floor plan from Rockwood Mini-Lite. And suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated. All the research we're doing it's only getting us more confused.

My wife and I are getting ready to retire and will be purchasing our first RV later this year, We are looking at the Imagine XLS 23LDE. We are also looking at a similar floor plan from Rockwood Mini-Lite. And suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated. All the research we're doing it's only getting us more confused.
Avoid anything "LITE" lite translates to cheap. You'll be money ahead to buy a tow vehicle made for towing if that is your concern.

I'm new as well, just got my rig this week, but as to what we did.

Sound advice in that referenced thread, we purchased a "like new" used trailer.

I retired almost 20 years ago at 52, did my boating thing, now for land travels. All we insisted on was an island queen bed we could walk around, a good size sink and bathroom.

We sat down and discussed our real needs, initially thinking a class A was needed, turned out a TT was the answer for us with one dog fur child. Here were some of our concerns;

Driving/towing, setting up camp, tearing down, functions involved, safety issues, legal issues, how much work is it? Our needs were simply about shelter from the weather for two with our dog. We aren't full timers living on the road.

Where are we headed? Off road or paved parking spots? How much road time is involved daily? Being in no hurry, are we physically up to 6, 8, 10 hours on the road? Basically, did some trip planning considering different types of RVs and what had to be carried with us.

Money, no deal breakers but a consideration. Not just the cost of the rig but expected maintenance, storage and mpg. I had to figure out if an RV was really the answer compared to motels or cabins. While a per night stay might be, say, $120 at a clean motel the RV has a cost as well. My considerations included number of days used per year, wear and tear, upkeep, depreciation and salvage value when we are finished with it. Turned out a TT was the best value for us.
So far, we plan on hitting military installations across the country, all have a parking lot, most have campgrounds and housing.

Latest resources

Back