• Commercial/Vendors welcome

What extras do you bring for your trip?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Don't sweat it. You will add and toss many things over time.

A small basic tool kit, gorilla tape, replacement bulbs for exterior running lights.

Hose washers, not the cheap vinyl ones. These are good and 100 lasts me a loooong time Amazon product ASIN B0B8V3L1J7
Water hoses are best in 25 ft lengths. You can always connect two or more together. I like to buy a 100 ft hose and use hose menders to make several shorter hoses. I use quick connects to put them together. I try of have one 10 to 15 ft hose.

Two 10 ft sewer hoses are better than one 20 ft sewer hose. You can always connect two or more together.

Water filters (I prefer the "whole house" style in the 10" canisters)

There is a Walmart in almost every town in the US. It's amazing what you can buy at a Walmart.

You need a little electrical outlet tester and know how to use it. A cheapie from Harbor Freight will let you know if an outlet is mis-wired. And if you lose it, it's not expensive to replace. You will need an adapter just to plug the tester into for the 30 amp outlet and the 50 amp outlet. You want to test before you plug your RV in. Electrical Receptacle Tester with GFCI Diagnosis

Know how to test an outlet. Here's two sites.

You need an electrical adapter, depending on what your RV is rated for. A 50 amp RV needs to be able to plug into a 30 amp outlet. A 30 amp RV needs to be able to plug into a 50 amp outlet.

You need a cheapie garden hose splitter or "wye" along with a cheapie pressure regulator to use on the sites hose pipe (you will eventually leave it behind) . Save the expensive ones for a permanent connection on your RV. The cheapie is just to save your water hose.

You need a sewer collar. You often get them with a sewer hose kit.

Some parks/campgrounds do not allow sewer hoses to lay on the ground. You may want to pick up a sewer hose support.

If you have a decently sized fresh tank, you do not need to hook up to the potable water every night when traveling. You also do not need to dump your waste tanks every night either.

All the tools that have been listed in previous posts.... would you know what to do with them?

As LMHS says, you can easily pick up stuff along the way as needed (auto parts and hardware stores, Walmart, etc) and many RV parks have the basics at not too inflated prices, so you’ll rarely come up short. The water pressure regulator is a good point - some parks have water pressure high enough to damage your fixtures. Part of the fun (for me) is going on a scavenger hunt for some unforeseen need. In Memphis I needed to test AC capacitors and my multi-meter didn’t have that feature. So off to Lowes and now I have a better compliment of testing stuff.

I carry a lot of stuff but as I said, I have a lot of capacity for a small coach and as a result I rarely need something I dont have, and I often have exactly what a neighbor or other camper needs in a pinch. I also plan small easy projects to do when I’m on the road for those days when I have nothing planned and feel like tinkering so that stuff gets thrown into my inventory.

Last edited:
generator

There are many airlines on my rig. My BaRTH has air brakes, air throttle, air shifter, air wipers, and air suspension. The air dryer filter was replaced after 10 years of me owning the BaRTH. When I purchased the BaRTH, I installed a separate air filter system for the air compressor. The compressor was using filtered air from the main air filter off the engine. With the separate air filter is not competing for air with the 10.4 liter Caterpillar.
I decided to have a few backups on board. We all carry some spares. We never have enough. I assembled a little air repair kit with the help of Commercial Truck And Trailer, in Girard, Ohio.
Here it is.
IMG_0084.JPG
It consists of ½, 3/8, and ¼ airline hose and some push lock connectors. We also included some right angle fittings. The straight push lock fittings should get me out of most air leak problems with ten foot of each size hose.
I really hope I never have to use the kit. If you have any air systems on your rig, you may want to assemble a kit for your peace of mind.

Self fusing silicone tape can eliminate the need for carrying a spare water and sewer hose depending on where you are going. It may not last forever, but I have used it for a temporary repair until I can get it done correctly. This may help offset some bulk storage capacity until you can get replacement parts from other sources.

When unexpected problems arise.....
An extra "COACH BUCKS" credit or debit card. My glamping friends always refer to coach bucks as $1000. Might be what you need to keep it rolling.
IMG_0093.JPG
Don't try to use this one is was spent a long time ago.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back