• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Wheelbase

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
For various reasons I am thinking about replacing my truck with a 150/1500.
Given the general rule that a 30 ft. trailer should be towed with a truck having a 150 inch wheel base what are your thoughts on towing with a truck with a 145/147 inch wheel base.
There seems to be a general consensus that 110” WB for 20’ and +4” for every foot thereafter. This would put your truck right in the Consensus ballpark for 30’.
In my opinion, as long as you know your truck, pin weight is correct, towing capacity is within reason, you won’t have any issues.
Consensus is just an average of folks thinking what is reasonable.

Why is it so hard to get a question answered without telling the poster the world is going to end.

I am asking about wheel base. There was no mention of a larger trailer. I know all abouat the other inmportant factors. Just because they were not mentioned does not mean they were not taken into consideration. As stated above, I pulled this trailer for 10k miles with a 1/2 ton Ford F150 with the 3.5 not a problem.

so please, if you can not give an answer to the actual question, please refrain from the gloom and doom of needing a Mack to pull my little red wagon.

Kevin: yeah, guess I am a glutton for punishment.
Well sir, you certainly implied that you were quite happy to suggest that your 3.5 L F150 was really all you needed to pull your massive trailer. You also posted the following disclaimer... "Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks".

So now you are upset that the opinions being posted by informed users don't concur with your idea of an appropriate tow vehicle.

Really, what were you expecting? Clearly, the combination tow and towed are not well matched in most peoples opinion. How can you expect folks to ignore the obvious?

Darrell

Well sir, you certainly implied that you were quite happy to suggest that your 3.5 L F150 was really all you needed to pull your massive trailer. You also posted the following disclaimer... "Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks".

So now you are upset that the opinions being posted by informed users don't concur with your idea of an appropriate tow vehicle.

Really, what were you expecting? Clearly, the combination tow and towed are not well matched in most peoples opinion. How can you expect folks to ignore the obvious?

Darrell
Yes I did say that but the question that was asked was in regards to wheel base of a truck. No where in my original post did I state what wheel base was on the F150.

If I understand correctly, it is perfectly fine to tow a 28 ft trailer with a 145.7 wheelbase but do not tow a 30 ft. trailer with a 147.4 wheelbase. For what it's worth, the mfg. of my trailer states the length is 29'9". Based on 1 post I have read there is a formula of Divide wheel base by 5 and that is workable for lack of a better term. I am not looking for math or assumptive opinions, I am looking for real world experiance.

My next question would be how many of you that posted have towed with a truck having a shorter wheel base than a 250/2500. If you have not towed with that configuration you opinion is only an assumption and not based on fact or actual experience.

Sorry for the rant. @Neal if you wish you can close this.

A 250/2500 does not denote a wheelbase. They are dependent one the package.

oldguy,
I did a little digging. The supercrew 150 with a 6.5' box has a 157" wheelbase. You said that the F-150 served you well, I believe that. That truck gets you over the 150" threshold. I haven't pulled gooseneck trailers with a half-ton in nearly forty years, so no I don't have any current input on newer vehicles

A 250/2500 does not denote a wheelbase. They are dependent one the package.
I realize that. I was refering to a short wheel base 2500/250 of which I have seen.

I'd rather tow a trailer with a 144" wheelbase 2500 than a 157" wheelbase 1500.
But here you are towing witha Tundra with a 145" wheel base.

WOW!! You say, "all opinions welcome", but then blast each comment with negativity!:(
Well, it's your truck, your trailer, and your money! You pull it with whatever YOU think is best! Because from your comments, all opinions are not welcome!
Hope you enjoy whatever decision you make, & whichever truck/trailer you tow!!

Latest resources

Back