• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Wheelbase

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
For various reasons I am thinking about replacing my truck with a 150/1500.
Given the general rule that a 30 ft. trailer should be towed with a truck having a 150 inch wheel base what are your thoughts on towing with a truck with a 145/147 inch wheel base.

The trailer is a 30 ft. Catalina toy hauler with a gvw of 7900 lbs. Since I no longer have my Harley the trailer will never again see max weight. Have not yet weighed it but estimate that the weight is about 65/6800 lbs. as 90% of our camping is local with in and hour or two at the most. We usually are on FHs and carry very little water.

Seems that are very few trucks in my area that have a 150+ wheel base along with the neccessary amount of payload so I have begun lookiing at 145/147 inch wheel base trucks.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Shock Wow GIF by Pringles

ALL,

I'm quoting the original post (OP) for all to re-read. The thread is getting off track and disrespectful in some cases. If you can't reply with something to help with the question above, please do not reply to the thread. If you can help the poster with the info provided above, please help.

Thank you.

But here you are towing witha Tundra with a 145" wheel base.
We're talking about your question/scenario, not mine. My trailer is also 5 feet shorter than the one you're considering.

Since you already have the 2500, just drive it. Buying a new truck to save money on fuel is counter productive overall. How much better fuel economy do you have to get for how long to pay back that $60k price tag?

We're talking about your question/scenario, not mine. My trailer is also 5 feet shorter than the one you're considering.

Since you already have the 2500, just drive it. Buying a new truck to save money on fuel is counter productive overall. How much better fuel economy do you have to get for how long to pay back that $60k price tag?
I am really trying to be nice here but you just want to keep pushing. First of all youar signature says you have a 28 ft. Freedom Express. Last time I did the math that comes out to less than 2 feet differance in length since I stated in post #13 that the mfg. length is 29 ft. 2 inches and about 2 inche less wheel base than what I am looking at.

Again, another assumption that I am going to spend 60k on a truck. No where did I say that.

One more time. I am asking about wheel base. If you want to discuss that fine if not we are done here.

Latest resources

Back