Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

120-Volt receptacles are all wired to the same 15 amp breaker! What the heck!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TLD

RVF Newbee
Ok, maybe I'm missing something. I kept frequently blowing the same 15-amp breaker in my Imagine trailer. So, I did some checking and discovered that 9, 120-volt receptacles located on the inside, and 2 receptacles located on the outside are all wired to the same 15-amp breaker. Actually, the way to say it is that all of the trailers 120-volt receptacles are wired to the same 15-amp breaker! Has anyone else encountered this situation? Surely that can't be what is intended in the design of the unit. There are 3 other 15-amp breakers in the fuse box.

Last edited:
Well it wouldn’t pass our county building inspectors plan review, but apparently its good enough for RVIA. Easy enough to modify to make it a bit more functional.

If there is enough slack in the wires, simply move the extra wires off the one breaker and balance the load across the other three. Just make sure you get the wire colors correct for hot, neutral and ground.

Rick

Or if you’re not skilled at residential electrical work, have an electrician straighten it out. It should be a quick easy job.

If there is enough slack in the wires, simply move the extra wires off the one breaker and balance the load across the other three. Just make sure you get the wire colors correct for hot, neutral and ground.

Rick
It's probably not that simple - likely there is a single wire connected to the breaker, and all the outlets are daisy-chained on that single wire. You would need to break that daisy chain and run new wiring to the panel, and add new breakers for the new wiring. I would hesitate using the existing breakers since they are probably feeding some high-current items, such as the AC units, microwave, converter, etc.

Ok, maybe I'm missing something. I kept frequently blowing the same 15-amp breaker in my Imagine trailer. So, I did some checking and discovered that 9, 120-volt receptacles located on the inside, and 2 receptacles located on the outside are all wired to the same 15-amp breaker. Actually, the way to say it is that all of the trailers 120-volt receptacles are wired to the same 15-amp breaker! Has anyone else encountered this situation? Surely that can't be what is intended in the design of the unit. There are 3 other 15-amp breakers in the fuse box.
What do you have plugged in to these outlets? Unless you're running electric heaters you shouldn't be able to overload a 15 amp breaker that easily with the stuff commonly plugged into a camper receptacle. If you're using electric heater/heaters, one might be say 12.5 amps. Since you're not supposed to exceed 80% of rated capacity for safety, 80% of 15 amps is 12 amps.

I used plug in electric radiator heaters in my windjammer when I spent the winter in it one time along with the propane to try and cut propane use.
I found if I plugged in more than one I'd throw a breaker.

I found few 15A receptacles connected to a single 30A breaker on my Dutch Star.

On our Imagine 2970RL, all the GFI plugs are on one 15-amp breaker and all the non-GFI plugs are on a separate 15-amp breaker. The converter is on a 15 amp breaker, the fireplace is on a 15 amp breaker, the microwave is on a 15 amp breaker, each AC unit has its own 20 AMP breaker, and the main power is on a double pole 50 amp breaker. When I asked about that they said that's the way the G.D. wires them

Well it wouldn’t pass our county building inspectors plan review, but apparently its good enough for RVIA. Easy enough to modify to make it a bit more functional.
Yes!!! You got it!!! RVs were never designed to be permanent dwellings (not designed, nor built to live in).

That is why the codes only allow you to live in them on your property, while building a proper house.

That said people do live in them, and most know the dwellings limits, and stay within that line. However some feel they should be built the same as a house. THEY ARE NOT!!!

Latest resources

Back