• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Put a bike rack on the back of transend trailer. Is it ok

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
If it has a hitch receiver, I don’t see how a bike rack could be an issue; assuming you’re talking regular bikes and that you aren’t near the weight limit.

If it has a hitch receiver, I don’t see how a bike rack could be an issue; assuming you’re talking regular bikes and that you aren’t near the weight limit.
I’m talking electric bikes and what is the weight limit. Thanks for answering

The only two problems you can run into (assuming a capable hitch) are exceeding the gross weight rating of the trailer, and reducing the tongue weight too much by placing weight behind the axle(s). If its a heavy two axle trailer it probably wont be an issue.

If the second is an issue it will drastically affect handling so weigh the tongue weight before and after and make sure you still have enough. Your bikes are probably around 60lbs each plus the rack and hitch so you’ll probably be adding around 150lbs to the rear - enough to cause problems if you don’t maintain tongue weight.

If this ends up being the case, put enough heavy stuff in the front of the trailer to create more downward force on the hitch and counter the the effects of the weight on the back. This might take a some experimentation but better to go through that than have the trailer misbehave while towing. You might be able to compensate by filling or emptying tanks depending on their location.

I put my two ebikes on a heavy (home built) rack behind the jeep I tow and the load is heavy enough to sag the rear of the jeep a bit. Doesn’t effect towing the jeep (different dynamics), but it does demonstrate that there is enough added weight hanging off the rear to have an effect. Also make sure your rack is stout enough for the ebikes. You don’t want to risk those either.

Latest resources

Back