• Commercial/Vendors welcome

120V Wiring Schematic for Camper

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The trailer is more than likely a 30A RV, so, since you say you have 120V in the rest of the RV then it narrows things down to the one circuit. How many outlets are there that have low voltage? IF more than one check the others to see if the problem is upstream (toward the panel) or downstream (away from the good outlet). I am still thinking it is the push lock type of connection on the back of an outlet, but that's just my thought. If there is only one outlet on the circuit, unplug the trailer and check to see which neutral is paired with the black on that circuit in your breaker panel. Check the Neutral buss bar (the one with all the white wires) for a loose or corroded wire. This would also be a real good time to check ALL connections in the panel since they sometimes come loose over time. Loosen the screw and then retighted each one to make sure they have a solid connection.
I have checked the outlets with a meter. The outlet has 88V at the neutral post and 120V at the ground. The problem is when I take the (receptacles) that I have taken apart they only have one romex wire going to them. I need to find a junction box or ???? to get a starting point from to get some kind of reference. It seems like I have said in earlier post that I have power to the right side of the camper where the slide is but nothing on the main frame of camper. I believe there was a junction box on the slide outside that I will look at to see if there is something in there otherwise I can not find a box that has 2 romex cables in them that passes through.

hey @talldrink I have a tone generator system. This is the problem. If you have a bad connection it produces heat. The heat hardens the plastic insulation on the wire. This leads to a short that could produce a fire.

I also have a flir camera for my phone. I can find a heated wire with it even with the wall in the way. A staple can cut threw a wire and cause a bad connection not even close to a junction box. The flir camera is such a great tool I will recommend it to you. The cost is up there but most electricians don't use one. This means that the real problem may still be present after the fix. Troubleshoot time is greatly reduced and to be honest even if you take the time to trace all wires and make a schematic The two tools that have been suggested first by @TJ&LadyDi and the flir by me. Your electrical answers will be easily resolved in the future.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I will look at all these options and will everyone know how the problem was resolved.

Latest resources

Back