• Commercial/Vendors welcome

13.5 A/C

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Just watch the extension cord you have plugged into the outlet.

Used to run ours periodically off a 20 amp outlet and the extension cord would warm up a bit.
The shore cord is 10awg for 30 amp service. To avoid low voltage, only use the same in your extension cord. Best not to use any extension cord at all. More than be concerned about the cord is concern about the cord ends (cord caps).

Just watch the extension cord you have plugged into the outlet.

Used to run ours periodically off a 20 amp outlet and the extension cord would warm up a bit.
I bought a 12/3 cord. It did not get hot at all. Thanks.

A 12/3 cord should be good for 20 amps. Also be aware that longer cords, i.e. 50 ft+, should be upped one size of wire to minimize voltage drop.

Beware of those big heavy-duty-looking cords that have small wires. Remember, it isn't the outside that counts, it is the inside that handles the amps. More copper = more amps.

Bob

You can run it on a 20 amp circuit. I know my Dometic 13.5k BTU A/C unit pulls 18.3 amps (2196 watts) on start up and then drops to around 13.5 amps (1620 watts) according to my ampmeter. So 20 Amps should be sufficient. I took the measurements a while back when I was considering what size generator to buy. I have been thinking of buying a soft start kit, but since I went with a larger inverter generator I may not worry about it now.

Last edited:
We have a 13.5K BTU unit in our trailer. I use a 2500-watt Champion inverter generator powered on gas. I do have to switch it out of economy mode to run the AC and converter.

Do note that generators that are dual fuel are de-rated when run on LP. I've considered going to a 3 KW inverter generator but at nearly 100 lbs I deem that a bit much for this old man to lift in and out of the truck.

Bob

We have a 13.5K BTU unit in our trailer. I use a 2500-watt Champion inverter generator powered on gas. I do have to switch it out of economy mode to run the AC and converter.

Do note that generators that are dual fuel are de-rated when run on LP. I've considered going to a 3 KW inverter generator but at nearly 100 lbs I deem that a bit much for this old man to lift in and out of the truck.

Bob
I agree Bob, I was worried about weight too, I found one by Genmax for $550 that was 3200 watt starting and 2800 watts running, and it only weighs 47 lbs :eek:. That was the lightest one I could find with that kind of wattage at the time and its a gas only generator.

Genmax 3200 watt Inverter Generator

Latest resources

Back