Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

1997 Adventurer, generator not powering coach.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TXbound

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Winnebago
RV Model
Adventurer
RV Length
Chassis
Chevy P30
Engine
454 Vortac
Fulltimer
Yes
The mini Onan generator starts up but when not plugged into shore power, the coach only runs off 12 volt, can't run air conditioner, also when unplugged from shore power, the GFCI in the bathroom is tripped and it can only be reset when plugged into shore power, as the 97 doesn't have the old plugged in and plug into shore power but rather has a switch on the dash, I have tried to find that fuse for that switch, but I'm convinced it's more likely a ground issue since the GFCI keeps getting tripped, how can I diagnose and troubleshoot using a voltmeter? Thanks

The mini Onan generator starts up but when not plugged into shore power, the coach only runs off 12 volt, can't run air conditioner, also when unplugged from shore power, the GFCI in the bathroom is tripped and it can only be reset when plugged into shore power, as the 97 doesn't have the old plugged in and plug into shore power but rather has a switch on the dash, I have tried to find that fuse for that switch, but I'm convinced it's more likely a ground issue since the GFCI keeps getting tripped, how can I diagnose and troubleshoot using a voltmeter? Thanks
I'm confused by this - what are you saying? What size genny is it?
Does your rig have an automatic transfer switch? If so, the shore power and the genny power run through that. If I'm not mistaken, the Genny has priority. I would start there with your multimeter, taking care to be safe.

Often on that age of MH you must plug in to the generator! There may be a pigtail inside your power cord storage to plug in to. I know this confused me years back. Good luck...

Often on that age of MH you must plug in to the generator! There may be a pigtail inside your power cord storage to plug in to. I know this confused me years back. Good luck...
Not on the 97 models there is a transfer switch on the dash, we didn't realize that at first and searched for a pigtail cord but never found one. Thanks

I'm confused by this - what are you saying? What size genny is it?
Does your rig have an automatic transfer switch? If so, the shore power and the genny power run through that. If I'm not mistaken, the Genny has priority. I would start there with your multimeter, taking care to be safe.
it;s not a full size it's a Onan microlite Yes the switch is on the dash. How about the fact that the GFCI keeps getting tripped, I'm told that's possibly a ground problem somewhere not necessarily on the genny as the GFCI is tripped only when plugged into 110 or actually when switching from 110 to 12 volt. Thanks

The GFCI will trip when the insulated conductors don't match on the load side. Has little to do with the line side. Use your multi meter to check the power leads of the generator to make sure the generator is producing power. then listen for the contact switch in when connecting and disconnecting shore power.

The GFCI will trip when the insulated conductors don't match on the load side. Has little to do with the line side. Use your multi meter to check the power leads of the generator to make sure the generator is producing power. then listen for the contact switch in when connecting and disconnecting shore power.
Hello again, by the way I have resolved the solar charger issue, it turns out it was the controller, anyhow moving to the issue at hand, can I poke the power leads with the meter to check for power? Where do I listen for the contact switch? I was a bit confused as I thought the switch that is on the dash switches them, that switch is the auxilliary battery switch which prevents the house battteries from being drained. So than if there is no pig tail to plug in than it's fully automatic, when disconnected from shore power? I'm not sure I understand how it works as I've always had the older rigs. Also one RVer I met recently suggested it could the converter?

Turns out it was the breaker switch on the generator itself.

Latest resources

Back