Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

gfmucci

RVF Regular
I was at a dealers used RV lot and observed a 2006 Damon Intruder gas for $26,000 and a 2006 Tiffon Phaeton diesel for $85,000 side by side.

What they had in common:
  • Both low mileage
  • Both no apparent leaks
  • Both had shrunken rubber window seals that needed replacing.
  • Both had washer/dryer combo
  • Both 38' long
  • No maintenance records for either.
What they had different:
  • Damon had checked, cracked decals, not full body paint; looked worn. The Tiffon had full body paint, looked almost new.
  • Damon had a side by side residential refrigerator; Tiffon had stock propane/ electric
  • Damon interior looked plain and worn but functional; Tiffon interior looked upscale with leather still supple and woodwork deluxe.
  • Floors Damon vinyl and carpet; Tiffon tile.
  • And of course the difference between the gas and diesel engine and air suspension represent at least a $10 to $15K market difference.
My preference is gas because potential maintenance and repair costs are lower than diesel. Diesel has longer life, but I hear more horror stories with diesel engine repairs than gas engines.

My guess is a need for $20 to $30K to bring the Damon up a livable and reliable standard.

The knowable unknowns are tire and battery ages for both. Unknowable is maintenance history.

With a $100K budget, there would be little room for surprises with the Tiffon whereas the Damon would leave a lot of budget room.

I realize the rigs are apples and oranges except for year and size. But I thought the pros and cons were interesting relative to price differences.

Ideally I'd probably be better off with a mid-grade 2010 to 2014 in great shape in the $50K range.
25F62516-EA7E-4579-BB48-4629D99B26F9-1.jpg
E846DFA6-65BD-4644-BBB2-41AE00637620.jpg

Last edited:
Stay away from any Damon products.They don't age well.Tiffin is a much better brand , especially if it fits in your budget

Precived value!!!

Loan companies must look at numbers when choosing to finance!
2006 feels almost new, in my old fart head. I was 6 years into this lifestyle, when they were new! Wow 16 years old! Wow! The car I wanted then, I wouldn't touch today! Though I could care less about the rule. Some still need to remember there is a 15 year rule. Most likely the reason the coaches are priced at such a bargain price! If in fact the 15 year rule makes it only a bargain price for a buba like me!

If I weren't a buba! Even 7 years old, may be far enough along that I would have to consider the 15 year rule, when considering price.

When summing up my comment here I would say that if I weren't a buba, I would wonder if my pocket book could withstand the 15 year hit, even if I bought such a toy new from the dealer lot.

I have made some great deals due to the industries stupid rules.

Just saying, side by side comparisons sometimes share other similar fates!!!

I was at a dealers used RV lot and observed a 2006 Damon Intruder gas for $26,000 and a 2006 Tiffon Phaeton diesel for $85,000 side by side.

What they had in common:
  • Both low mileage
  • Both no apparent leaks
  • Both had shrunken rubber window seals that needed replacing.
  • Both had washer/dryer combo
  • Both 38' long
  • No maintenance records for either.
What they had different:
  • Damon had checked, cracked decals, not full body paint; looked worn. The Tiffon had full body paint, looked almost new.
  • Damon had a side by side residential refrigerator; Tiffon had stock propane/ electric
  • Damon interior looked plain and worn but functional; Tiffon interior looked upscale with leather still supple and woodwork deluxe.
  • Floors Damon vinyl and carpet; Tiffon tile.
  • And of course the difference between the gas and diesel engine and air suspension represent at least a $10 to $15K market difference.
My preference is gas because potential maintenance and repair costs are lower than diesel. Diesel has longer life, but I hear more horror stories with diesel engine repairs than gas engines.

My guess is a need for $20 to $30K to bring the Damon up a livable and reliable standard.

The knowable unknowns are tire and battery ages for both. Unknowable is maintenance history.

With a $100K budget, there would be little room for surprises with the Tiffon whereas the Damon would leave a lot of budget room.

I realize the rigs are apples and oranges except for year and size. But I thought the pros and cons were interesting relative to price differences.

Ideally I'd probably be better off with a mid-grade 2010 to 2014 in great shape in the $50K range.
It is all a matter of opinion on the gas versus diesel. If you are going to tow a vehicle and go through mountains a diesel pusher is the better answer. As for the age factor it is more of an inspection to understand any issues. Five years ago I purchased a 2007 Coachman Encore 40TS. This is a diesel pusher and it had 47,000 miles. I did a thorough inspection and bought it for $68K and have never looked back. I have had to replace tires, batteries (went to AGM) and put in new resi fridge. Other than that just normal wear item. My coach has full body paint which I prefer over decals.
IMG_7088.JPG

Here a few axioms I invented for myself (subject to change) concerning the purchase of a used motorhome

* For every year of age of the rig, keep $1,000 on hand for maintenance and repairs . More if you don't like to fix things yourself. Start with a minimum reserve of $5K. Double this if no independent pre-purchase inspection is done.
* If two rigs are the same price, and one is a top of the line but older, and one is a budget line but newer, go for the older, up to a point. The point might be not more than a 10 year difference.
* If you don't "require" a diesel (for mountains/towing something really heavy or wanting a smoother ride), put the $20K difference toward something else, like a newer or more upscale rig.
* Look for mileage between 1,000 and 5,000 per year of age for gas; up to 8,000 miles per year for diesel. Both less and more than this range are caution signals.
* Buy from a "big four dealer" a) if you are new to this b) don't mind spending 10% more, and c) Plan to camp in the general region of one of their repair centers.
* If you are a one or two person full timer and you want a washer/dryer connection, look for the shortest unit, which is generally ~34 feet, if you want to increase chances for a state or national park camp site, which is often a 35' maximum.
* If you want a supplemental vehicle for driving away from camp and don't want a full sized TOAD, consider a CanAm Riker or similar vehicle either in a Toy Hauler (which is 38' or longer) or a folding trailer, which can be moved around by hand and takes little space.

Anyway, that's my axiomatic criteria and reasoning of the moment, again, subject to change with the next brain f---. Other opinions, advice, and "are you crazy?" comments invited.

Stay away from any Damon products.They don't age well.Tiffin is a much better brand , especially if it fits in your budget
When I walked out of that unit, my impression was I would have to take at least the first year to bring it to a condition I would feel comfortable in, plus at least $20K. The Tiffin was still impressive - same age.

Latest resources

Back