• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tgent93

RVF Newbee
Hi Everyone!

I'm in the process of buying my first TT and had a few questions.

Thank you in advance for any help! :) I've been scouring the forums for a few days, but it was a lot of information at once so I figured I would just post.

Vehicle Info:
2015 Ford F150 XLT 2.7 EcoBoost
GVWR: 6250lb
Class 5 Hitch (11,000lb Max Gross Trailer Weight, Max Tongue Weight 1,110. Weight Carrying 5,000)
Payload 2,250lb
4 Prong and 7 Prong Connectors
(I believe I have the towing package, but I haven't confirmed with Ford yet)

Trailer Info:
2012 Forest River Rockwood Roo 21SS
GVWR: 5,743 lbs
Dry: 4,311 lbs
Payload: 1,33 lbs
Hitch: 570 lbs

1) Do I need a Weight Distribution Hitch and Sway Control? How do I go about determining which one to get? (From what I can tell there's a lot of variables that go into which to get)
2) Is the brake controller a must or can you go without? (If it's a must, can the trailer be towed 45 mins or so without? Bringing home from dealership this week)

Sorry, this is off topic but your truck really only weighs 4000 lbs?

No worries! Yep it's about 4,500. Ford switched over to a lightweight aluminum frame awhile ago.
I know the aluminum bodies cut weight but I didn't realize it was that much.

Does the truck have a factory break control? If so you likely have tow package.

I will say yes to both WD hitch and sway control. How does the truck handle the weight? Does it squat? When on the road how does it handle? How does it handle when a semi passes you on the interstate?

No matter how big the truck, a good sway control / equalizer hitch is a huge plus. Without them, hills and wind can make anything sway no matter how big the truck is.
Ken

Based on the numbers a WD hitch certainly isn't a must but it could make things more comfortable at highway speeds, expecially with nasty cross winds. You can certainly get away with driving it home 45 minutes from the dealership with the setup you have. I have a friend with the exact same truck, he bought a 6500lb (empty) trailer and drove it in wind 1.5hrs home without a WD hitch and it was annoying but at no time dangerous, he did get a WD hitch shortly thereafter but it is over a ton more than what you're working with empty.

Latest resources

Back