Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Willy B

RVF Newbee
Hey Guys, first of all i'm new at this and have a question. I have owned several bumper pull travel trailers in my life but never a huge fifth wheel. My wife and I have sold our home and are becoming full time rvers. Looking at two different rvs, that will work for us. One is a used 2017 Grand Design 375RES for $53,500 and a new 2019 Avlanche 376RD for $55,000. Don't really know which way to go... Any advise would be appreciated TIA..

Welcome to RVF, @Willy B. Glad you have joined us here.

It has been a few years since we've had a 5th wheel, but we did have a 34' Montana for about 10 years. Here are a few suggestions from that experience.

First, look at overall quality of the build. Grand Design has a very good reputation as a builder; Keystone also builds good 5th wheels (including the Montana we had), but not quite to the level of GD IMO. Both are serviceable trailers that should serve you well.

Since you will be full-timing, I think the most important consideration should be floor plan. How does the layout fit your lifestyle? What amenities will make life more comfortable? If possible, find the two models you are considering and spend considerable time in both. Think about how the layout flows for you. Remember, this will be your new home and you need to be as comfortable in it as possible.

Finally, within reason, leave price out of the equation until the very end. Shop for what works for you, and then think about price.

Good luck.

TJ

Last edited:
I didn't know anything about the Avalanche but the GD 375RES I do have a couple of comments. One the Cargo Capacity of the 375RES doesn't match the amount storage room it has and most are around 2,000 pounds which isn't much for a full-timer. They did have 7,000 axles and they run close to being maxed out. Also, when loaded and ready to go camping it has a pin weights are between 3500 and 4000 pounds so you need to DRW truck.

Latest resources

Back