• Commercial/Vendors welcome

2018-2022 Bay Star Power Cord Reel Install

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Would love to add a power reel. Have plenty of room to do however, the cord is a pain to reel in any cold weather regardless of power reel or not!!

Here are several pictures of my Power cord reel installed by the dealer, on my 3014 Baystar
IMG_1577.jpg
IMG_1578.jpg
IMG_1580.jpg
Unknown.jpeg

Here are several pictures of my Power cord reel installed by the dealer, on my 3014 BaystarView attachment 11336View attachment 11337View attachment 11338View attachment 11339

That's not the low profile... they got the regular size reel into that bay, good on them, and good on you.

I wasn't sure if it would fit because it's tall enough to reach the slide motor, but I see they mounted it behind the motor just fine. I'm a bit jelly on how much more simple your install is. I already have the end-part similar to yours to make my original cord an extension... because my reel is only 32ft, not 50 - like yours. :p

I'm not taken back at my decision for the low profile because I'm mounting a few more parts of the electrical to make it modular. I have an autoformer I want mounted in the bay too, so the low profile is still the better option for my plan. Only time will tell at this point, but it's good to know - and other to know it's possible.

Before...
IMG_4086.jpg

After...
IMG_4142.jpg

Was a bit tricky in some places, but it's modular. I can bypass most of the components, including the power reel. The only one I configured not to be bypassed was the EPO.

Still need to attach the reel control switch to the bay door. Just need to find the right part.

So, there are two options for adding a power reel to a Bay Star, hard and easy.

Interesting set-up. I’ve considered an auto-former having seen low voltage a couple times. I have a 34’ reel that occasionally comes up short and considered a 50’ reel, but I had around 20’ of spare cable from another job (solar install on a food truck) so I made a 50amp extension out of that. It also means that most of the time I have less voltage drop althougn the difference is probably negligible. Im curious about the grey box front left. Also I just took a quiz on millennial speak so I now know what jelly means ;^]

Interesting set-up. I’ve considered an auto-former having seen low voltage a couple times. I have a 34’ reel that occasionally comes up short and considered a 50’ reel, but I had around 20’ of spare cable from another job (solar install on a food truck) so I made a 50amp extension out of that. It also means that most of the time I have less voltage drop althougn the difference is probably negligible. Im curious about the grey box front left. Also I just took a quiz on millennial speak so I now know what jelly means ;^]

The grey box is connected to the cord reel as the output. Basically, the power reel is a long extension cord terminating at that box. Other devices are plugged to the box, and I can pick if I want the autoformer or the EPO to connect there.
The setup goes ... Shore Power > Power Reel > Autoformer > EPO-Surge Protector > Transfer Switch.
I can remove both the autoformer and power reel from the setup if needed and connect the EPO to an extension cord to the shore power directly.

I know "jelly" from my millennial kids...

Latest resources

Back