RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Silverado 1500
My passenger side front baggage door drops down about 3” when the door opens. Scared me to death thinking it was going to fall off completely. It appears the cotter pin on the hinge fell out and I’m trying to see what else would cause this. Has anyone with a newer model Newmar taken off their baggage doors to rehang? Guess I found my first project for the season. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciate!

This is by design. It will raise up as you close it.

Purpose is to clear the slide.

Only the big doors do this.

It’s definitely not as designed. My large drivers side doors have the drop feature. This one is on the passenger side and its barley hanging on! I have to manually lift it to close or it will fall down but not off.

It’s definitely not as designed. My large drivers side doors have the drop feature. This one is on the passenger side and its barley hanging on! I have to manually lift it to close or it will fall down but not off.
Oh..yeah, that's not right. Got my sides confused

Pictures and videos "worth a thousand words"

Agreed Neil, I will try to take a quick video when I can get to my motorhome as its currently in my storage facility. It appears a piece on the door hinge failed.

Without pictures, I'm giving it my best shot with the limited info. The cotter pin goes through the hindge pin to keep it in place.
Do you have the hindge pin?

Attachments

• 20220327_142146.jpg
    20220327_142146.jpg
    787.1 KB · Views: 17
This is the part that broke (item #6). I was able to order another from Newmar, now just have to take the time to figure out the proper way to remove the old and install. I will need to remove the door to rebuild. If anyones taken their baggage doors completely off and has tips that would be greatly appreciated . I will make sure to document the progress
751BBA89-42A4-4896-8967-D6B2EC8EF2A3.jpeg
7439B83E-E88A-4BE3-BD90-80781CA95154.jpeg

Had that bushing break the retaining clip on the other side of the coach because of letting it drop too fast when opening the door over the years. (these are the doors that drop down to clear the slide, but same problem) As I recall, those bushings/bearings are pretty expensive from Newmar (as most things are) but I didn't try to find another vendor. No biggie removing the pins and removing the door which is very light. You will have to cut the lock wires and resplice when reinstalling. Make sure you have room to slide the pin out. I think you will have to remove the top cotter pin because there isn't clearance to pull it up for removal on the top hinge. Just something to look out for.

Latest resources

Back