• Commercial/Vendors welcome

2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon TOAD

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Get the 8.4 screen, totally worth it for the camera view alone.....in my opinion
We waiting for the ice to melt and we are going down to order a new 2020 Rubicon. After test driving the Sahara and Rubicon back to back, I was surprised how much quieter the Rubicon was over the Sahara. A little research I found at the 8.4 Screen with GPS has 'Noise Canceling Technology". That is not found on the 7-inch screen. That explains it and yes we changing our order to include the 8.4 screens.

I tinkered with the web site to config a Rubicon. Some things I'm not sure the difference on (tires, engine, transmission, whatever, etc. etc.) but just tinkering. What would you suggest different?

Attachments

• Rubicon-config.pdf
    201.9 KB · Views: 23
Just some comments..

You have the standard 6-speed select and not the Automatic
You didn't select a top
Tres - First and third options are basically the same tire expect the OWL has raised white lettering. The center section is a mud tire with an aggressive tread.
Saftey packages are personnel preference I selected both.
On the engine, if you select with eTroque you getting the setup in the link below. I have not heard any terrible about the setup but new and have a wait and see type of person.

The link should take you to my options. I did choose the Automatic, and it's required for the remote engine start. See if clicking the link vs. the PDF shows better.

We purchased a Jeep JL in August 2018; it was one of the first ones available in our area and we were really wanting a Wrangler to tow. We had been going to CGs for a year with no toad-it sucked.

We got a 2-door, soft top. We ended up taking out the back seat; it's stored in the S&B basement until we sell the house. At least I can go to the store and put groceries in the back now.

Overall, it was cheap. I would have preferred an upgrade to any model rather than what we have; we added running boards (yes, it didn't even have those! ?), added the Rock Hard tow bumper, all the tow equipment etc. Overall, between all the upgrades, we are in another $7000.00!

We looked at upgrading the tires to what a Sahara or Rubicon come with and that's another $5-7k! ?

We're now talking about getting a 4-door, hard top....live and learn. It's only dollars, right? ? ?

FYI, with the automatic trans: putting it into neutral for towing is HARD! I still can't muscle through it, thehusband does that and I put in the brake {Blue Ox} because its so small. Manual transmission would be so much easier.

On upgrading tires, you need to watch Craigs List. I have seen Sahara and Rubicon tires and rims for around 1,000 bucks. These guys buy these drive them for few weeks that put larger tires/rims on them.

Thanks Gizmo! Those would be Ginormous compared to what we have! Ours are the baby ones that look silly! We need the big ones!

Thanks Gizmo! Those would be Ginormous compared to what we have! Ours are the baby ones that look silly! We need the big ones!
Here is a quick example in our area.

I don't know squat about the JL, but assuming they followed some of the same drivline principles of the JK, you'll need to keep the following in mind. When upgrading wheels/tires, the gear ration of the Sport is (I think) 3.45. So upgrading to 35's will take its toll. Automatic transmissions will do better, but on hills you're going to feel the pain.

Keep them at 33's and you'll do well. Going to 35's and you may want to consider a gear change to 4.10. Going above 35's, like to 37's and you'll want to go 4.88's.

You guys in Florida will probably be fine regardless of what you do, but if there are grades to be considered, you need to gear your Jeep accordingly.

Thank you Turbo for the use of your picture.
Here is an illustration of the differences in the two types of tow mounting points
EC4BCE56-3AF6-4906-989A-88171CA9AF50.jpeg

Latest resources

Back