Chassis
Freighliner S2RV
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2023 Chevy Tahoe ZR1
Fulltimer
No
We bought this rig used with 3800 miles on it. We immediately noticed that after driving for about 15 minutes the brakes started to squeal really, really badly. It's embarrassing. We took it to the local Freightliner dealer for inspection and they told us everything looked great. HMMMMMM. We then took it to a repair facility that put new Koni shocks up front along with a host of suspension and steering improvement components and boy, what a difference. However, while I was at the shop I asked the repair guys to take a look at the brakes. They did. They told me to take it a Freightliner repair facility because the brake linings were all cracked and the drums looked like they were in pretty bad shape. So I took it back to the Freightliner repair facility and gave them the repair recommendations from my other repair shop. They agreed to look at the brakes again and what do you know? The brake linings were completely shot. I asked them to please replace them under warranty and they agreed but after the repair was made they said that Freightliner kicked the warranty repair back to the shop. The shop then charged me 2900 dollars for relining the four brakes. I told them that something is wrong with the brakes. Mechanically wrong. They said they look fine now. I said that's what you told me on my first trip here and the brakes were completely shot. Long story short, after about 30 miles of driving it back to our home, the brand new brakes started to squeal again. The brand new brakes. Does anyone know what this could be? Is anyone having issues with their brakes on their S2RV chassis's? At this point, I hate Freightliner and think either they or their dealers are crooks but I need help with this and I don't want to shell out another 3 grand for faulty brakes that last 30 miles.
Thanks for your advice. By the way, I live in Southern California so if anyone knows of a reputable Freightliner dealer I would love to know. Thanks

Hi, brake noise is very frustrating and yes can be embarrasing. I'm retired from an electric utility company that uses many Freightliner based models.
I see your unit is a 2022 Entegra Accolade K XL.
Do you know what Freightliner chassis it is? I can search my notes and try to see if can help you.

Hi, brake noise is very frustrating and yes can be embarrasing. I'm retired from an electric utility company that uses many Freightliner based models.
I see your unit is a 2022 Entegra Accolade K XL.
Do you know what Freightliner chassis it is? I can search my notes and try to see if can help you.
Yes, it's the S2RV chassis. Thanks for your input.

Also, the brake pads are cracking so they are getting very, very hot. I think it's a sticky caliper situation but it seems to be happening on all four corners which would be highly unlikely. The fact that the Freightliner dealer I went to said that everything looked great when I first brought it to them is frightening considering I took the RV to another repair shop the same day only 8 miles away and they said that I have some serious braking issues and to take it to a Freightliner dealer where they should repair everything under warranty. The rig only has 5000 miles on it and we have now gone through two sets of linings. Hope this helps. I appreciate you taking the time.

Just to make sure I know all the points. Are they drum or disc brakes? And when they did the brakes, did they refinish or change the drums/rotors?
We'll come up with something.
👍

I agree with dadmech. If the pads were cracked it was due to overheating. The rotors or drums will probably be glazed. If the weren’t turned or replaced you will get the squealing again.

Thanks so much your responses. The brakes are drum brakes and Freightliner did not turn the drums when they replaced the linings. Would it be possible to burn through the new linings on a 30 mile trip back home? They started to squeal on the return trip home and 90% of that trip was the freeway where I probably didn't hit the brakes more than a few times at most. Just want you guys to have all of the information.
I've heard that brakes and the linings should last the lifetime of the RV which leads me to believe that there is something really wrong with these brakes and I have less than zero confident in Freightliner figuring this out since they originally told me that everything looked perfect when I first brought it in to them. And I can almost guarantee they will not warranty whatever is wrong so I may just bite the bullet and take it to another repair shop who knows what they're doing so I can get this fixed correctly. However, I would still love to hear your ideas on what you think I going on with this. I appreciate you taking the time. This is a great site. I'm glad I found it.

Just to make sure I know all the points. Are they drum or disc brakes? And when they did the brakes, did they refinish or change the drums/rotors?
We'll come up with something.
👍
Thanks. The brakes are drum brakes and the drums were not turned when they relined all four corners.

Thanks so much your responses. The brakes are drum brakes and Freightliner did not turn the drums when they replaced the linings. Would it be possible to burn through the new linings on a 30 mile trip back home? They started to squeal on the return trip home and 90% of that trip was the freeway where I probably didn't hit the brakes more than a few times at most. Just want you guys to have all of the information.
I've heard that brakes and the linings should last the lifetime of the RV which leads me to believe that there is something really wrong with these brakes and I have less than zero confident in Freightliner figuring this out since they originally told me that everything looked perfect when I first brought it in to them. And I can almost guarantee they will not warranty whatever is wrong so I may just bite the bullet and take it to another repair shop who knows what they're doing so I can get this fixed correctly. However, I would still love to hear your ideas on what you think I going on with this. I appreciate you taking the time. This is a great site. I'm glad I found it.
The drums if not turned would be supper smooth from use and heat hardened. When you put the new brake linings on the will smooth out and begin to squeal. Get the drums turned and rough up the linings with course sandpaper. That should do the trick.

S2RV 12k miles no brake issues. I’m on the FB page for my coach have not seen any brake issues reported.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back