Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Beniskickbutt

RVF Newbee
Im in the market for a new tow vehicle and general purpose vehicle as I've now outgrown my tiny hatchback. I dont like owning multiple cars so I am looking to get a vehicle that can tow enough and make for a good transport vehicle.

While in "everyday mode", Im looking for one that I can fill up with a gaggle of girls for school pickup or soccer and softball practice. Additionally will find use when I have family from out of town in so we can all fit in one car to go to restaurants or attractions. The Tahoe seems to do this well, especially went with the bench seat to maximize space.

Here's where I am having the biggest issue.. While in towing/camping mode. I want to pull a trailer that will be up to 6k pounds at most. In the most common use case, this means 2 adults and 3 kids. In less often, but still often enough use cases, we'd also have an additional 2 adults and 2 kids (either one of my 4 siblings immediate families), OR 2 adults (grandparents).

The payload seems to be the limiting factor...

Lets take the family plus grandparent case which is most common.

We have 4 adults, all roughly 200#, total of 800#
Then we have 3 younger kids, just call it 200# all together, that puts us at 1000# total payload (no luggage)

Looking at the best case payloads for all these vehicles, I am seeing
1,927# - Tahoe
1,910# - Yukon
1,884# - Suburban

How hard is it to hit these best cases? I really dont care for any bells and whistles in my cars and wish I could strip them of 90% of the stuff in them. Is it actually possible to have these max payloads while having the max tow packages?

A truck would work much easier for payload but in the case of camping with grandparents, we cant fit 7 into a vehicle that seats 6 at most. We also then lose the "everyday mode" functionality we seek.

I've also recently discovered the Suburban 2500.. wish that was still a thing

Perhaps we also need to scrap the idea of also taking a long family and tell them they just need to get their own camper and vehicle. The tough spot for us is that family is all over the country and when we do gather, typically people fly to us as we have the space for it, we'd like to do these trips together. We've done tent camping out of mini vans but that thing cant tow anything. Looking for a trailer to make the rainy days a little more manageable.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back