• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question 2024 Dutchstar fuel economy

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Joe Hogan I suggest performing this test. Diesel fuel, especially at the high rate of a truck pump can generate a lot of foam and easily throw off your mileage calculations.

Stop 1: At about 20 gals prior to full slow down your fill speed to about half. With around 10 gals remaining, slow it further. Goal is to minimize foam. Maybe even wait a minute or so and then try to get as much diesel in as possible to ensure a full tank.

Stop 2: Repeat above. Now measure your mileage. Report results.
100% Neal, agreed there are so many variables. One big one you brought up about fuel-fill rate and foam, on a 100 or 150 gallon tank a slant on the isle could equal a significant difference in volume. Earlier in this thread generator and Oasis fuel consumption came up, I believe the MPG calculations are simple tank float level fuel volume Divided by miles driven, so if your cranking 3 AC’s running the generator cruising down the road on. 100 degree day your MPG will suffer.
My two 4369’s pretty much averaged 6.8 MPG but on a rare occasion when my route was mostly on the flat or downhill I saw 8.2 one time, by my next check it was 6.8.

Generator and Oasis definitely make a difference, especially when sitting for 6 months and exercising both.

On the 400 miles from Florida to Hilton Head we got 6.77 mpg which includes all the generator and oasis fuel used while parked.

There’s also a variation in how level your rig is when you fill. I just calculated mpg on my trip to Nappanee. Two fuel-ups, one 5.7 the other 7.03. So, my fuel mileage is yes.

Short of using a fuel flow device in the fuel line to the engine i.e. ECM, there are to many variables! Gas has advantages! Fill up till the auto shut-off triggers. Fuel in neck,no air in tank, level no problem! Did I mention temperature variables?

Yup!!! Fuel metering at the fuel user, is the only accurate way!!!

However, mechanical wear, and inaccuracies foil any real numbers on that battle front as well!!! Other than bragging rights, I look at fuel economy,the same way I look at solar,and battery monitoring!!!

It all comes down to this one important question! is it working for you???

This all comes down to how accurate does the calculation need to be.
Our last pair of fill ups were from the same pump at Loves, same time of day approximately. Using same fill technique. Probably as close to accurate as I need to be.
That said, the number I watch is the average mpg. If there starts to be an unexpected decline without known reasons, I start to look for a cause. Mechanical issues, etc.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back