Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
On our recent trip down from Newmar, the DSDP averaged slightly more than 7 mpg. Around 45.5K in weight towing a Ford Flex.

Normal? Or does this engine need more than 1200 miles to get true Average Fuel Stats?

Last edited:
@Joe Hogan My 23 DutchStar 4369 previously towing a Ford Explorer and now a Chevy Silverado gets ~6.4 mpg. ~28K miles. I would love to see 7. Previous coach was a 15 Ventana 4369 towing the Ford Explorer averaged ~ 8 mpg. So based on my experience 7 mpg on the new coach seems normal and pretty good.

There are a lot of factors that go into fuel economy: terrain, age of coach, etc. If you are getting 7 mpg, you are doing pretty well without any real break-in period.

Yes agreed lots of factors. Road was all interstate, 62-65 mph. Relatively flat terrain, no a/c running. only traffic was in and out of Atlanta, very little stop and go.

Joe, our 17 DS has 60k miles on it and has been all over the country. 7 is about what the average has been. Sometimes less, sometimes more and usually cruising @62-64. Climbing hills, especially here out west, and strong head winds are the main killers of mileage. Surprisingly, I have found very little difference whether I cruise at 55 or 63. Go figure.

Just for comparison, our 2024 on the initial trip and towing a Ford F250 from Minnesota to Tennessee we got about 6mpg.. But I was still trying to find the sweet spot so we were cruising usually 66-68 MPH.. From Tennessee to Louisiana (towing the F250) were at 7mpg setting the cruise at 67mph.. that seems to be the sweet spot..

7mpg on a new DS is excellent! Are you sure you didn't have a lot of tail wind on your trip to Atlanta lol?
I'm currently getting 7.25mpg

LOL... we avoided Atlanta, that may be why we got 7 hahahaha

On our recent trip down from Newmar, the DSDP averaged slightly more than 7 mpg. Around 45.5K in weight towing a Ford Flex.

Normal? Or does this engine need more than 1200 miles to get true Average Fuel Stats?
Hi Joe! If I reset my mileage meter when I start out, and I drive for 5-6 hours (in Florida), I'll finally get to where the meter is showing 7. So I would say you're probably getting pretty good mileage. :)

My lowly gas powered Canyon Star gets from 6.8-7.2 mpg constantly towing , and has for 29,000 miles.:cool:

Latest resources

Back