Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I did a four corner weight today and my steer wheels have what I think is a significant difference.

disclosures
Fuel 1/2 tank
Water tank empty
Gray and black empty
I used 3 truck wheel weight scales that I own so each side was measured individually. I did not lift the other side. The ground was fairly level.

Otherwise the coach is loaded for trips. Bear in mind our trips are not like you pros out there.

The front difference is concerning.

I have the newmar weights at home and I’ll compare those.

@Neal in another post you had mentioned a similar issue when you did FPU? Is there a resolution? Before I start ripping everything apart I want to get some advice from you all

1578174898743.png

here are factory weights from Newmar.

1578176987224.png

Last edited:
When at FPU and getting corner weights they told me that left/right should be within 1000 lbs of each other. I think they adjust ride height on the airbags to balance the weight. Imagine "tipping" your coach left/right to get it balanced.

Thank you. Sounds like I need to go to FL.

Last edited:
So I went to FL and they said if the ride height needs to be adjusted it would be obvious and tilting

They checked the measurements and said it was fine or within specs. The FL shop suggested I call FL support and a very unfriendly person refused to log a case said “not our problem“. I am going to call Newmar in the morning to see what they say. Any other suggestions on how to rectify this problem are appreciated.

I thought about my corner weights this morning, I bet with my new Dometic cooler in the front right basement and my Pellet Grill in the right of the slideout tray I'm probably heavier right than left. I head to Gaffney in April and I think they can do corner weights but will I do anything about it? Probably not. Reason is I have HWH Active Air and I have no idea how to make changes to it should airbags need adjustment.

Moral is, is this really something you need to worry about? I'm not sure a 1500 lb difference is really something to worry about but I may be wrong, this is not my expertise. Those with much more RV experience than me please chime in on left/right weight differences and what the tolerances are, if any.

Being a tech nerd I think about this stuff. The tires on my rig are close enough to max weight that if the CanyonStar is too far out of balance I may exceed the working weight of the tires as well as having the inflation pressure too low for weight carried by the wheel position. I run at the max axle weight on the drive axle most trips and consequently max cold tire pressure. If the side to side balance is too far out of wack I'll be exceeding limits on tire position weight. This may not be a concern for the DP folks.

I have sent all the data to Newmar and await a formal response which I will share on this thread. We are headed to Indio on Saturday and we may do yet another weigh session down there with a business that does RV weighing.

Newmar replied and said they think the scales are off even though i did it two different ways for that big a difference which is possible but I doubt it. Whatever, I am not going to stress about it. I will find another scale and do it again.

i had the coach weighed by an RV shop that does 4 corner weighing and they got the similar results as I got where the front axle has a difference over 1000 pounds side to side. I am really concerned about this as everything i have read said no more than 500 lbs max side to side. I honestly do not know what to do next but I sent an email to Newmar again showing the comparable results I have gotten 3 times. Nevertheless, I need to get this fixed and I hope Newmar can suggest some solutions since this is a potential safety and liability issue.

3/14/2020​
Right front Right drive Right tag
5440​
8170​
3880​
6510​
7940​
4140​
Left front Left driveLeft tag
1070​
-230​
260​
Newmar FactoryRight front right driveright tag
5580​
7325​
3750​
5860​
7845​
3865​
Left front left driveleft tag
280​
520​
115​
Difference Vs. FactoryRight
-140​
845​
130​
650​
95​
275​
Left

Between 2017 and now we’re there any additional items added to the coach Or things that were done to customize it?

Latest resources

Back