RV Model
Reflection 28BH
RV Length
35’
TOW/TOAD
Ford F-250 Super Duty
Fulltimer
No
Any truth in if your TT or any RV with 30 amp service if you get a 50 amp pigtail into a 30 amp keeps the power from dropping in your RV at campgrounds but maintains a 30 amp constant service?

I had heard from a camper they only plug their 30 amp RV into a 50 amp utilizing a drop down power (pigtail) for this very reason. Said it keeps the power drops in voltage down when the campground gets crowded and everyone plugged in.

Thank you.

I'd pass to any electricians out there, but... Far as I know there's no difference beyond the number of amps you can draw before the breaker "pops". It might be that the park runs two separate circuits or that some other electrical shenanigan provides some difference, but that seems less than... routine. I do believe that the power posts are wired like the breaker-box in your house: low amperage breakers next to high amperage breakers, all drawing from the same voltage source.

Now, there may be some advantage if the voltage drops. As volts sag, amps rise... and therefore if you're drawing near 30 amps, a 50 amp breaker would allow more amperage to flow prior to popping, but your internal protection would likely pop instead.

Using the 50A plug won't change anything for a 30A unit. The 30A and one leg of the 50A are the same wire. My only caution to you is by using the 50A breaker you have the potential to over amp your 30A power cord. Will it happen? Probably not unless you happen to get a short circuit in your cord or trailer.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back