Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

307 Tailgater

RVF Regular
In the market for a 5th wheel, the models I'm interested in have the king pin extended out in front of the body (see picture).

Truck bed is 6.5', will I need a slider hitch to avoid contact between truck and trailer?

Attachments

• webreadyprimary_2859.jpg
    webreadyprimary_2859.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 19
Yes, you will want a slider. You will get a rhythm backing it and will not need to slide it every time. When I had my fifth wheel I did not need to slide very often. It’s good to know you can when you need to. I do not know what exactly is out there on hitches today, but I would find a hitch that will wrap around the king pin. One that closes behind the king pin has too much play and likely will clank when start and stop. Good luck.

Yes, you will want a slider. You will get a rhythm backing it and will not need to slide it every time. When I had my fifth wheel I did not need to slide very often. It’s good to know you can when you need to. I do not know what exactly is out there on hitches today, but I would find a hitch that will wrap around the king pin. One that closes behind the king pin has too much play and likely will clank when start and stop. Good luck.
Can you provide an example of each (wrap around vs closes behind)? Are you referring to one locking jaw vs two locking jaws?

Last edited:
The hitch I used was a Reese it had a straight bar that closed behind the king pin. I believe one manufacturer is B&W that locks around the king pin. Eliminate the clank you will enjoy the towing.

Reese also has hitches that wrap the king pin. Invest in a quality hitch will be well worth it. My opinion.

I am using an Andersen hitch with a short bed Chevrolet Duramax and do not use a slider. I can get about 75+ degrees with it. I previously had a Reese with a slider, and I never used the slider in 18 years of use. You have to pay attention, but there is not many places you can't go with 75 degrees of turning ability. Actually, if you go much more than 75 or 80 you are just sideloading the trailer tires and causing a lot of stress.

Attachments

• 20211102_160526.jpg
    20211102_160526.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
I have a Ram 3500 6.5 bed, purchased a slider with my 2016 keystone cougar that has the slanted front nose and extended pin box for shortbeds. Never needed or used the slider, bought one because i was new to it and not sure if needed but read many forums with most everyone saying I did. . My dealer suggested not needing it at the time but I did not want to find out in needing one and spending more money on a different one. I am now considering a reese goosebox adapter. I have the B&W slider and is a great hitch but very heavy and it takes a small hoist mounted in my garage to help install and when removing it takes up space to store and truck bed space when using. . As you research you will get confused. Some say you need it and some say you will not.
I do not try to 90 deg my camper when backing in, I just move forward and adjust as needed to keep stress off my frame and tires. . I can get a very tight back in probaly 80 plus deg,
Something I keep trying to correct myself in doing that I do not -- to ocassionaly look at my corners of camper to make sure I do not hit my cab. It is very easy to forget about clearance when concentrating on other things.

Latest resources

Back