Limited
RV Length
35’
TOW/TOAD
No TOAD
Fulltimer
Yes
Hi all!
My partner and I just recently purchased a 1987 Fleetwood limited in souther California! We have found ourselves in the need of all of the engine v-belts. I have been on the hunt for the belts with no luck and all of the mechanics I have tried to get to help have told me they also couldn’t find any belts. Does anyone have any advise or know the sizes so I could get them made? I would really appreciate any help.

Your best bet is probably going to be measuring the existing belts (preferably while they are in place) and taking those measurements to a good parts house like NAPA Auto Parts. You will need both the circumference and belt outside width measurements. If one or more belts is not in place, measure around the outside of each pulley, and don’t forget the idlers. A cloth or plastic sewing measuring tape is usually the easiest to manage in a situation like this, but get one you are willing to part with since it will probably get dirty/greasy. They are pretty cheap.

A couple of photos would be good, as well, to the parts guy can determine the taper, etc. A good parts guy should be able to look for belts with that data.

Good luck.

TJ

Your best bet is probably going to be measuring the existing belts (preferably while they are in place) and taking those measurements to a good parts house like NAPA Auto Parts. You will need both the circumference and belt outside width measurements. If one or more belts is not in place, measure around the outside of each pulley, and don’t forget the idlers. A cloth or plastic sewing measuring tape is usually the easiest to manage in a situation like this, but get one you are willing to part with since it will probably get dirty/greasy. They are pretty cheap.

A couple of photos would be good, as well, to the parts guy can determine the taper, etc. A good parts guy should be able to look for belts with that data.

Good luck.

TJ
Thank you for the response! I will look into measuring and trying to find myself some belts.

If your old belts fit properly, take them off and take them with you to any parts store. Even the ones with kids who think they have to look up everything on their computer have a "belt guage" in back or hanging on a wall. They put your old belt on it to measure it and then pull the closest match off their shelf. All belts are marked by size though it's in kind of code and often metric. Sometimes your belt may have stretched or the size doesn't quite match to what they have in stock so what you bring home might end up a bit too tight or too loose. Then you might have to go back and swap for the next size. It's just part of it. I've had to take a belt back twice once before I nailed it down.
Another time I had no belt but I did have one old one that was too big. I cut it and put it on. Then I clamped the cut ends with a pair of vice grips. Then is it was a lot of doing and undoing until I felt the fit was correct. Then I took the belt with vice grips hanging on it to the parts store for measurement. They thought it was quite amusing but I got the belt I needed the first try that time.

If your old belts fit properly, take them off and take them with you to any parts store. Even the ones with kids who think they have to look up everything on their computer have a "belt guage" in back or hanging on a wall. They put your old belt on it to measure it and then pull the closest match off their shelf. All belts are marked by size though it's in kind of code and often metric. Sometimes your belt may have stretched or the size doesn't quite match to what they have in stock so what you bring home might end up a bit too tight or too loose. Then you might have to go back and swap for the next size. It's just part of it. I've had to take a belt back twice once before I nailed it down.
Another time I had no belt but I did have one old one that was too big. I cut it and put it on. Then I clamped the cut ends with a pair of vice grips. Then is it was a lot of doing and undoing until I felt the fit was correct. Then I took the belt with vice grips hanging on it to the parts store for measurement. They thought it was quite amusing but I got the belt I needed the first try that time.
What if I don’t have any of the belts, I suppose just measuring the way the last post says would work. I really appreciate this answer! Thank you so much!!

I've found it pretty difficult to get close to the size I needed trying to measure but at least you'll have a starting point. I've found my starting points to be a LOT closer to the mark using another belt or even a belt clamped together as I described. If you can use the clamped method always choose the next smaller choice in a new belt. It's hard to get one tight when it's held together by vice grips. So it's good to assume such a sample belt is on the "loose" side.
Hopefully you'll have a friendly parts store staff to deal with. It will surely help if you explain to them your situation up front and that it will likely take you a few tries to get what you need.

Hi all!
My partner and I just recently purchased a 1987 Fleetwood limited in souther California! We have found ourselves in the need of all of the engine v-belts. I have been on the hunt for the belts with no luck and all of the mechanics I have tried to get to help have told me they also couldn’t find any belts. Does anyone have any advise or know the sizes so I could get them made? I would really appreciate any help.

I have a 1987 Fleetwood Bounder. My title says "Deere" ! Mine has a Ford 460 backed by a C6 transmission. My understanding is that you can order parts as if for an Ford E350 van for all of the drivetrain and chassis, essentially.

I would have answered earlier but I just saw this listing today as I am replying. I hope this is helpful for you and if not perhaps others in the future.

You can run a tape measure around the outside of the belt path.

Or measure centerline and pulley diameters adding all together. Belts come in 1/2inch increments. The groove is important, and pulley with more than one belt the Belts must be matched.

If you contact an industrial supplier they can direct you to a local supply house.

Otherwise go here online with your measurements and get their help.

Latest resources

Back