Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Roxi

RVF Regular
Hello All! I was googling “RV forums” and this forum popped up. Can’t believe I didn’t find it sooner! I’ve been reading quite a few RV forums for probably close to 10 years, but this one “at first sight” seems extra friendly.

My name is Rosanne aka Roxi and I live at 7800’ in dry New Mexico. I retired at the end of 2019 (closed my dog grooming business). My personal odometer hit the big 70 mark in April (so hard to believe). I’m a widow of 21 years (also so hard to believe) and at around the 10 year mark I decided that I could (emotionally) sell our house and relocate. I grew up in NJ and I miss the ocean and green!

I am planning on selling my house, storing items I want to keep, and traveling around the country full time for a few years, eventually figuring out where I want to live and move into a small cottage. I hope to be on the road by next spring/summer.

I’ve been reading forums and googling everything RV for years, until I am bleary-eyed, but still read more. I’ve come full circle since I first decided to do this. I started out thinking a Class C would be the way to go, but once I started going to RV shows I realized they felt cramped, and didn’t want the upkeep of another engine. So then I started looking at the endless variety of roomier travel trailers and wearing my calculator out with vehicle tow weight ratings and GVWR, GCWR, tongue weight, trailer weights, CCC, etc., etc. OMG! And I enjoy messing with numbers! Pity the person who doesn’t!

Anyway, a couple of years ago I found my way back to the Class C arena. I’m a Chevy girl, so that helped narrow the field quite a bit. I thought I had decided on a Thor Chateau or Four Winds 24F, but then I decided I didn’t like the way the mattress had to fold up when the slide was in. Started the rounds of looking again at all the Chevy Class Cs. As of now I am leaning toward a Coachmen Freelander 22XG. I’m feeling better about the no slides and shorter length. It will just be myself and my two dogs. And I’m imagining interior mods I can do to suit me better that will give me almost as much floor space as the Thor.

Roxi

Roxi,

Welcome to your new family - RVForums.com. Glad you found us and even more that you joined us. Super friendly gang here and people from all kinds of RV experience including fulltimers. I'm envious of your adventures ahead, I am considering fulltiming some day as well. Ask any questions you have and people will gladly help as yes it can be complex but don't forget to have fun first and foremost. I just wanted to say welcome aboard and let the experts help you out. Great to have you with us.

Welcome to RVF, @Roxi; glad you found us. Lots of good people on this forum.

First and foremost, you need to find the floor plan that works for you. You can always customize things to your “wants” once you find something that meets your “needs.“

TJ

Welcome. I am not familiar with the Freelander floorplan you are considering. But, I am familiar with a Thor Four Winds 24T, our previous class C. It did have one slide, and the extra room it provides was just awesome.
But the main reason we sold it was the rear corner bed. I am not sure if the Freelander has a rear corner bed, or kitchen. If you have not taken a good look at the rear corner bed, take another look. Get in and out of it many times. Watch your back on the linen closet corner that hangs down in your path. Imagine yourself changing the sheets and blankets on a bed that is surrounded by a wall on 3 and 1/2 of the four sides. It is not easy at all.
When we first bought it, we came from a slide in camper. We thought it was great. And it was, except for that darn corner bed. We were a lot younger when we bought it too. By the time we were 55, we had had enough. Only 55! :LOL:
Maybe we were being too picky. Anyway, that's my class C 2 cents. I hope you have safe and wonderful travels on your new adventure. We can't wait until we retire.

Hello Roxi and Welcome to RVForums. Wonderful to have you with us.

I looked up the Coachmen Freelander 22XG and it sure looked sweet to me. I can't imagine you wouldn't be happy with it. But others have given you some good info so sort through it all and let us know what you come up with.

Again, welcome!

Welcome to RVF, @Roxi; glad you found us. Lots of good people on this forum.

First and foremost, you need to find the floor plan that works for you. You can always customize things to your “wants” once you find something that meets your “needs.“

TJ

Thanks for the welcome TJ. Yes, the floor plans are exactly what I have been focusing on. I've been trying to picture myself in them day after day and taking notice of exactly how I use the space in my house day to day.

Welcome. I am not familiar with the Freelander floorplan you are considering. But, I am familiar with a Thor Four Winds 24T, our previous class C. It did have one slide, and the extra room it provides was just awesome.
But the main reason we sold it was the rear corner bed.

The 24F has the bed in a full wall slide along with the kitchen/dining area. I've read about how horrid those corner beds can be. Every time I looked at one online for the 3rd, 4th, 5th time, I said NO!

I was hoping to buy a 1-3 year old motorhome, but it appears that the 22XG floor plan is new for model year 2020. I'm not sure when the new model year starts. Maybe by the time I am ready next year I can find a good deal on a 2020.

Hello Roxi and Welcome to RVForums. Wonderful to have you with us.

I looked up the Coachmen Freelander 22XG and it sure looked sweet to me. I can't imagine you wouldn't be happy with it. But others have given you some good info so sort through it all and let us know what you come up with.

Again, welcome!

Hey Jim and Trish! Thanks for the welcome. I see we have something in common - love for shepherds. I have my third now, Jasper Blue. He was my first 8-week puppy I raised. My previous two had been shelter rescues, the first one at 6 months, the second was about 4 years.

In looking at the floor plans I have always been cognizant of floor space because of my dogs. Jasper hovers between 85-90# (depending on how bad I am with handing out treats - that goes for myself as well). His mom was pure shepherd, dad was not, but he acts exactly like a shepherd and pretty much looks like one. My other dog, Gypsy Rose, is half Russell terrier mixed with Border Collie and Peke. Jasper sleeps with "mom" most of the time. Gypsy is Miss Independent and prefers the couch.

Hey Jim and Trish! Thanks for the welcome. I see we have something in common - love for shepherds.
Well how about that! Wonderful dogs. Post a picture or two, would love to seem them.

bf1.JPG

Latest resources

Back