Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Beginning the journey of touring the "Clubs" here on RVForums.com and learning about the various brands beyond what I mainly know which is Newmar and Motorhomes, it was interesting taking a look at the classic travel trailers that are Airstream.

I took a look at the Flying Cloud model wondering how it could sleep 8, I really didn't find that but I imagine it would be tight. I think I personally would have a hard time in something that didn't have slides, I may get claustrophobic in something this narrow. However, I did like the modern style within, curved carpentry, and clean lines. I'm not sure how cold it would be in the aluminum shell of a RV like this, doesn't seem like it's insulated but I could be wrong.

It appears to be a quality product and as expected one of a high price point. There classic travel trailer is something I'd be more interested in as I want the largest square footage. Price point in the 150K range. It was interesting to see there smallest, the basecamp, still commanding near 40K.

Airstreams are certainly iconic and you're paying for the name and that notorious aluminum shell. The web site is very professional and well done. I watched the video on the Flying Cloud and it was very well done as well.

Airstream's YouTube channel for anyone interested:

We've never owned an Airstream, but have always been impressed by them. They have long been regarded as a high-quality product. The ones I have been in were well-appointed. With any travel trailer, you have to get used to a more compact living space. We never found that to be a problem with the ones we owned, even with three grandkids joining us frequently for 2-3 week stays. And, they never complained either.

One thing that has always impressed me about Airstream is their durability. Frequently, you find 30-year-old Airstreams in great condition and still being used regularly. And, unless you pay really close attention to detail, you can't tell a 30-year-old Airsstream from a brand new one.

TJ

We own a 25’ Safari {what used to be called a Flying Cloud,then a Safari, and now back to flying cloud).

We have had it for three years and have kept it maintained with regular washing and walbenizibg. So far, have onl y replaced a storage gasket and changed the fantastic fan to max air fan., and changed out kitchen faucet and bathroom shower head.

It just “ feels” like a stronger and more durable trailer than the typical brands we have been in. Vent though we dont have nifty things like slides, with the layout, terrific use of space and storage, overall airy feeling, we never feel cramped. There are four of us at the moment.

Truth be told, after graduating from tents, to pop up and then back to tents, I would be happy in any type trailer or hybrid, so I’m thrilled with this little Airstream,

They definitely are at the highest price points, but buying either used or new both have pros and cons. With used, you save a lot of money and most likely, get a quality trailer. With new, dealer warranties, and Airstream warranties with better financing options are appealing.

I’ve just purchased a 1956 Flying Cloud. I’ve always want to own an Airstream and this one beauty came in just in time. It’s all updated with solar and new plumbing and wiring. It still has the old feel inside. I’m like a kid with a new toy
E3A711A0-4530-4943-809A-419A7BCAB5F6.jpeg

Welcome to RVF, @GauchoMan. Glad to have you join us. That's a truly beautiful and classic Airstream! Congratulations.

TJ

Latest resources

Back