Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Fgslocum

RVF Newbee
I have 3 ac units on 38ERD . 2 of them are blowing at 89 degrees, it is 91 outside. I have shut them down and, restarted them. On luck, any ideas. It's a 2021 cedar creek 38 ERD.

Do you hear the compressor start? If not maybe low voltage. At 91 be assured that everyone is sucking up the power resources.

If the compressor starts and runs, then likely low on refrigerant. They can be recharged, but it takes a qualified service tech to silver solder in a Shrader valve on the low side, then pull a vacuum on the system and add the correct amount of refrigerant.

Don't fall for "they are sealed units and can't be serviced!". BS!

I have 3 ac units on 38ERD . 2 of them are blowing at 89 degrees, it is 91 outside. I have shut them down and, restarted them. On luck, any ideas. It's a 2021 cedar creek 38 ERD.
An AC unit that is working properly should have a delta T of 17 to 20 degrees. The #1 problem with ACs that run but don't cool is airflow. If your units short cycle they will freeze up. Short cycling is when the input air and output air are not separated. If you look inside the air dump there should be a baffle to keep the 2 air streams separate. Also insure there are no dead spaces, ie, anywhere the output air can escape where it should not (inside the ducting). Other than this you can have someone check the Start/Run Capacitors. This is an easy check if you have a multimeter that checks capacitance but make sure you short them prior to checking. It's easy to get a major ZAP from Caps. The last thing that will be a problem is the refrigerant charge. And you will not find a certified Tech that will recharge an RV AC unit. They are sealed for a reason!

They had to be charged at the factory, so the unit was "open" so to say. By adding a Sharder valve on the low side, one can have an AC tech evacuate the system and recharge the unit. Just as they did at the factory.

If the refrigerant is low or lost, yes there is a leak allowing it to escape. But the tech when adding the Sharder valve should also check for leaks. This is a normal HVAC procedure. This system is NO DIFFERENT than a residential air conditioner system. It can be serviced the same way.

If someone says they can't be recharged because they are a sealed unit, this is NOT correct. I know, we had ours recharged by a licensed and certified AC company. Agreed, many AC companies won't service rooftop RV units. But that's a different story and reason.

The service call, labor, and refrigerant for our recharge job, about $150.

If your AC system has leaked down and stayed down for any few days time period, you will also need to replace the receiver-dryer / dessicant bag inside the accumulator, if equipped. Moisture gets in and saturates the desiccant and ideally, should be replaced. Otherwise, this moisture freezes up at the expansion valve and can stop the flow of refrigerant.

And don't allow the service technician to add sealant of any kind to your system. The service shops despise sealant because it contaminates their recovery machine. Use only pure refrigerant with the possibility of using some UV refrigerant dye as a leak checking substance.

Rick

Latest resources

Back