Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
A few weeks ago I took my DS out of the barn before a planned trip to avoid rutting up my dirt path to the barn as we were expecting a lot of rain. Sure enough, it rained cats and dogs all night and when I retracted the left slide I looked on top and found a very large puddle of water up there. I was wondering where the water is supposed to go. I imagined that if I were to stop suddenly or even do down our driveway that is on a grade, I would get quite a drenching sitting in the driver's seat. I rolled up a towel and made a make shift dam as a precaution. It worked because when we got to our destination, I removed the towel to prevent it from fouling the slide extension and it was saturated! are there supposed to be gutters or drains installed to address this issue?

My FWS has a slide topper that usually keeps the water off...however when it's being retracted the upper seal should act like a squeegee and remove much of the water. If any remains it should be minimal IMHO. If your set up is different then prior to departure (with the side out😉) I would raise the front end a few inches and let the water drain off. Blessings

Damp is one thing, puddles are another. The slide seal should be doing more to squeegee the top of the slide as mentioned above, and I’d say this is something for your warranty work list.

If you haven't had the joy of water coming off the FWS onto your back while starting to drive you're really missing out! Yeah, been there, done that, not fun, will never happen again. In my case I washed my coach and sprayed it somehow to get water in, I can't remember if the slide was out or not, if out then yeah, I got it under the topper, if in then I'm not sure if I just put too much pressure somewhere? Even if I'm closing up from camping and it's rained sideways or something, I know to tilt the coach prior to bringing in the slide. Let it run off, i.e. get it out of level. Inspect it as needed, I never want that flood on my back in the driver's seat again. I'm not sure if yours has the water with the slide already closed, I'm guessing the seal didn't "squeegee" it off on retraction. I guess you can put the slide out then again get out of level if the water is still there.

My FWS has a slide topper that usually keeps the water off...however when it's being retracted the upper seal should act like a squeegee and remove much of the water. If any remains it should be minimal IMHO. If your set up is different then prior to departure (with the side out😉) I would raise the front end a few inches and let the water drain off. Blessings
Great plan! I was surprised at the quantity of water and that it did not squeegee off. It was quite a windy rain event so I was not surprised that water got under the awning.

Latest resources

Back