Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

tjalmy

RVF Newbee
I'm strongly considering adding an access hatch to the outside of my travel trailer. It would allow me to access the storage under the back of the U shaped dinette. It's such a bother to access it inside, we don't use it. With outside access, it will be very handy indeed.
Has anyone any tips to offer on cutting through the fiberglass siding of my 2018 Fun Finder?
I have found a source for custom sized hatches, and even a source that will match my Global Link key in a new hatch lock.
I'm just a bit nervous about cutting the fiberglass, as I never have.
Thank you!

Use a jigsaw with a very fine wood/metal blade the finer the better, and make sure the door hatch you buy has a template you can trace out easy. Set the saw to cut as slow as you can and do not ever force it to try and go faster than the saw wants to go. Above all else make sure and tape down very very well the outside edge all the way around. I'll say it again. Tape it down well. That will prevent the fiberglass from cracking and splintering. This is a must for cutting any fiberglass. Tape it up and tape it up well.

Use a jigsaw with a very fine wood/metal blade the finer the better, and make sure the door hatch you buy has a template you can trace out easy. Set the saw to cut as slow as you can and do not ever force it to try and go faster than the saw wants to go. Above all else make sure and tape down very very well the outside edge all the way around. I'll say it again. Tape it down well. That will prevent the fiberglass from cracking and splintering. This is a must for cutting any fiberglass. Tape it up and tape it up well.
Perfect. Thank you. I'm sure it will go well and will practice cutting a small hole before I go for the final cut. Would a roto zip work better? I have both it and a jig saw.

Latest resources

Back