• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Advice on weight trailer to pull safely

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
here is my question: can you increase your towing capacity with modifications to your vehicle?

my TT comes it at 6,500lbs- ish, the max combined weight for my "SUV" is 6,000lbs. I have used the Haul-Gauge ODBII and App to figure the combined weight and it shows me to be around 6,400lbs and there is a 10% error margin.

When the SUV was completely OEM, the rear sagged about 2.5inches when the trailer was attached. Tongue weight max on OEM is 600lbs, The was trailer is coming in at 690lbs tongue weight, so I moved batteries to the basement (upgrade to lithium). That dropped the tongue weight to 560lbs.

I installed air bags in the rear springs, larger front calipers (OEM were 2 pot, I went to 6 pot Brembos,) and added an Heavy Duty transmission cooler.

I have no rear sag since adding the air bags, with a weight distro hitch the SUV seems to handle just fine, but I have only moved the trainer from the dealer to my home via surface streets - approx. 20 miles, I have not attempted any highway driving.

I am considering a 3/4 ot 1-ton truck for towing the TT, but in the interim I think I am ok as long as I am not speeding or going too far.
Heck if you've done all of that get a good sized transmission cooler and pick and choose when put it in overdrive. I would highly advise a gauge to monitor transmission temperatures. Auto trans are usually the first things to give you problems when towing heavy. Warped rotors are right there too.

Heck if you've done all of that get a good sized transmission cooler and pick and choose when put it in overdrive. I would highly advise a gauge to monitor transmission temperatures. Auto trans are usually the first things to give you problems when towing heavy. Warped rotors are right there too.

already have a heavy duty transmission cooler as stated, and I have a Scan Gauge that monitors the trasmission temp.

pulling a 4,100lbs cargo trailer from Los Angeles, CA to Fort Collins, CO last month to take my kid to college and the Transmission never got over 180° even going up a 9% grade with the trailer fully loaded.

8 speed transmission, I kept it in 5th most of the drive, MPG suffered, only averaged 17mpg that way, where without trailer and using 8th gear (do this drive twice a year) I get 27-30mpg depending on which state I am in, the fuel in CA and AZ sucks compared to the fuel in NM and CO.

:ROFLMAO: oh my! I was mistaking you for OP. The Yukon. I should have known when you said 8 speed transmission, but I don't keep up with new vehicles because I have zero interest in them. That is unless you have a V8 Yukon that was getting 30 plus miles to the gallon. Had me ready to trade in my 2002 suburban and try out one of these new fancy rigs. Was even willing to eat the active fuel management until the warranty was up.🤪

:ROFLMAO: oh my! I was mistaking you for OP. The Yukon. I should have known when you said 8 speed transmission, but I don't keep up with new vehicles because I have zero interest in them. That is unless you have a V8 Yukon that was getting 30 plus miles to the gallon. Had me ready to trade in my 2002 suburban and try out one of these new fancy rigs. Was even willing to eat the active fuel management until the warranty was up.🤪
I like my vehicle, it suits my needs for now. I've had several Silverado's and even an Avalanche in the past.

when I had to get a family hauler, the Palisade ticked off all my wants and needs at the time. if I had it to do again, knowing my needs now (as they have significantly changed within the past year), I would have likely gone with a Sierra 2500.

it is what it is, my kid needs a vehicle and will likely get the Palisade, and I will upgrade within a year or so.

What Is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)?

Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), in the simplest of terms, is the maximum amount a vehicle can weigh as it rolls down the road. This number includes the curb weight of the vehicle, all occupants, and all cargo.

What Is Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR)?

Gross combined vehicle weight rating (GCWR), however, is the maximum weight of a vehicle and its attached trailer. This figure is also inclusive of all passengers and cargo in both the tow vehicle and the trailer. This is also sometimes referred to as gross combined vehicle weight rating (GCVWR).

You have to know what your GVWR is to determine what your GCVWR can be without going over the limit.
If your rated GCVWR on you tow vehicle is 10K and your loaded tow vehicle is 5K you can tow 5K
5k+5k=10k the max GCVWR.

I like my vehicle, it suits my needs for now. I've had several Silverado's and even an Avalanche in the past.

when I had to get a family hauler, the Palisade ticked off all my wants and needs at the time. if I had it to do again, knowing my needs now (as they have significantly changed within the past year), I would have likely gone with a Sierra 2500.

it is what it is, my kid needs a vehicle and will likely get the Palisade, and I will upgrade within a year or so.
I have a motorcycles that don't get that fuel mileage. That's great for a V6. If I put 4k lbs behind my suburban milage goes from 19-20 mpg to 14-15 mpg. Heck it's like it knows when something is on the hitch, 25% of my mpg goes away.
I know the Ford Eco boosts are making really good power with small V6s. Supposedly have a pretty good tow rating too. 14k lbs with 3.5 ltr. Low 20 mpg not towing.
Oh the "laugh" was at myself for thinking there was a 30+mpg V8.

I have a motorcycles that don't get that fuel mileage. That's great for a V6. If I put 4k lbs behind my suburban milage goes from 19-20 mpg to 14-15 mpg. Heck it's like it knows when something is on the hitch, 25% of my mpg goes away.
I know the Ford Eco boosts are making really good power with small V6s. Supposedly have a pretty good tow rating too. 14k lbs with 3.5 ltr. Low 20 mpg not towing.
Oh the "laugh" was at myself for thinking there was a 30+mpg V8.

I drive a like an old man, usually the right-hand lane hog doing the speed limit or slightly under. I use the HDA (highway drive assist/aka auto-pilot) system a lot, allowing the vehicle to do all the work.

1,200 mile drive from CO to CA last summer I averaged 30.3 mpg in CO, WY, and UT at 65mph, once I crossed into CA and filled up with CA gas, it dropped to 27.2 within a 100 miles. CA gas sucks.

and my motorcycle (2005 Honda VTX1800F2) gets 42mpg.. :cool:

I drive a like an old man, usually the right-hand lane hog doing the speed limit or slightly under. I use the HDA (highway drive assist/aka auto-pilot) system a lot, allowing the vehicle to do all the work.

1,200 mile drive from CO to CA last summer I averaged 30.3 mpg in CO, WY, and UT at 65mph, once I crossed into CA and filled up with CA gas, it dropped to 27.2 within a 100 miles. CA gas sucks.

and my motorcycle (2005 Honda VTX1800F2) gets 42mpg.. :cool:
2009 1700 VMAX. 14-16mpg is my worse one. :cry: 4 gallon fuel tank. 🤬 my best mpg on the hwy was 20mpg, but I really have to behave and it is actually a hard bike to "putt" around on.
But, 215+ horse power at the rear tire makes it worth it.

Latest resources

Back