RV Length
36'
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
Fiat 500 Turbo
Fulltimer
No
We have a small dog (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) who loves its momma perhaps way too much. So much so it'll sit on the counter next to the TV Lift so it can watch outside the slide windows for momma's return. However, a couple of times on our Blink security cameras, I've watched her take running double leaps from floor to seat to top of the dash; once she didn't quite make it and pounced on the dash with her front paws as she stopped and propped herself up to try to look up over the top of the dash. How much force does it take to press the Air Brake Release as the little one decides to pounce one of its paws into in? Not caring to conduct that experiment in real time I found a solution online, made some modifications to fit my rig, printed it up on my 3D printer, painted it, added some felt to it as to not scratch the dash, and then installed a holder for it to the dash with some double-sided tape.

I found a 3D print online for both the air brake release stopper and a holder for it (created by a user by the name of CeptoRider on printables.com) for something that could be slid in between the Air Brake Pull/Push lever and the dash. Unfortunately, it was modeled after an air brake lever that had a much narrower gap between the handle and the dash when engaged than what I had on my 2023 New Aire. I downloaded their 3D STL Model, edited it using Fusion 360 to making it thicker, but just barely enough to slide in and fit within the gap between a pulled-out lever and the dash on my rig. I've uploaded to printables.com for others with Newmars with similar dash / air brake handle designs.

Best,
-Mark

Attachments

• 20240928_112405.jpg
    20240928_112405.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 20240928_112417.jpg
    20240928_112417.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • AirBrakeDevice3DModel.jpg
    AirBrakeDevice3DModel.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240924_122239.jpg
    20240924_122239.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240924_122255.jpg
    20240924_122255.jpg
    721.4 KB · Views: 11
Fun project. Here's more:

As a follow up: This device is probably only useful while there is air remaining in the system. Even though my rig dumps the air in the airbags when I level the rig, the two air tanks (one for the front and another for the back) still have enough air left in them to release. However, over time that air eventually dumps out as well. Once the amount of air in the system is low enough, pushing this lever in won't do a thing as the springs should hold the brakes on as there isn't enough air left in the system to disengage them. You can even try this when you first start your rig -- until the air is recharged to a high enough pressure releasing the parking brake will have no effect as they will stay engaged.

So, why did I do it? Color me paranoid while the tanks still have enough air in them. Too paranoid? Perhaps. The other ones that have been shown with the holes in them for locks are probably more useful as a minor theft deterrent.

So, in a long winded answer this device is useful on my rig only after first parking it (once enough time passes it is a novelty) or while the rig is left idling (i.e. while letting the exhaust temp cool down and I'm outside of the rig setting up other things).

Best,
-Mark

Mark. you are absolutely right about air supply and spring brakes. I have contemplated a similar for the hood release on my Dutch Star. I have graphited the cable and latch enough that it is working like it should for now, but something to hold the cable while I am opening the generator hood would be handy.

Mark. you are absolutely right about air supply and spring brakes. I have contemplated a similar for the hood release on my Dutch Star. I have graphited the cable and latch enough that it is working like it should for now, but something to hold the cable while I am opening the generator hood would be handy.
Interesting idea on the generator release pull lever given how finicky they are. Perhaps one section that holds it pulled open and on one end an extra clip for holding it pushed closed? Mine likes to settle on a "happy place" in the middle depending on the phase of the moon, if the month has an "R" in it or not, or the current weather.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back