• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Air Dryer Purging when Engine if Off

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I was doing some maintenance today and decided to look at the air dryer issue a bit more. What I found was that after the air dryer purges the valve is slow to fully close. A small (compared to the purge) but constant air flow is expelled for an additional 15 seconds. After another 2 minutes (give or take 30 seconds), the air dryer would expel more air for about 15 seconds. It's not a high psi purge, but a constantly flow just like what occurs after the purge. Two minutes later this would occur again, but this time is would only last for about 10 seconds due to the air compressor kicking in. As @Chargerman suggested, it's probably the purge valve.

I've contacted Spartan to see about getting this taken care of under warranty (it expires tomorrow). I already have a service appointment scheduled to get the tone ring on my driver's side tag axle replace due to an ABS fault.

Considering that you are about to be out of warranty I would make a recording of it happening and make record of the date on it and also mention that you called Spartan about it on this day just in case there is an issue with them covering it although I suspect they will not give you a hard time

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Funny thing is that Spartan already replaced the air dryer once ... while we were at the Spartan Academy in September 2018. They did their inspection and determined that it needed to be replaced. To the best of my knowledge, it was working just fine at that time, but I suspect there was some systemic issue.

I took the coach in for service on Friday. Spartan had agreed to replace the air dryer under warranty and had shipped the replacement part to them. The air dryer has been replaced and all is good.

The other issue that I was there to have taken care of was my ABS fault. I'm still in discussions (to put it nicely) with Spartan as to whether they are paying for a replacement tone ring as I'm told that the one on the vehicle is bent.

Thanks for the follow up always good to hear of problems resolved. I hope you get a good resolution on the ABS fault.

Latest resources

Back