Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
The Problem is that the wheelchair lift door does not reliably close. It is operated by a small air pump. Do you think a small accumulator would help close the door? Currently the door will close with zero wind with a large window or door open. Otherwise it does not fully latch. Considering a larger pump but not willing to redesign system just yet.

The pump installed currently

Amazon product ASIN B085BXKRVB

Joe,
Isn't that a "Braun" lift?
If so, I'd suggest a call to them, and solicit their opinion.
Doubtful NEWMAR could offer much help!
Good Luck!

This is the Newmar installed door not the Braun lift.
During delivery we went around in circles trying to get this door to close reliably for three days. Any breeze interferes with operation. We ran out of time at delivery.
I am trying to find a work around for when we go up for warranty work in the Spring. A bigger compressor might work but will need to watch electrical draw so as to not cause wiring over load.
Spoke with Casey, Newmar Pres, when we were in the Keys regarding this among other items. I'll follow up with him either at Tampa, the International Rally or when in Nappanee next.
This unfortunately is a common problem with this door setup on newer models.
The ideal test would be to watch the air pressure as the door closes to see if the door actuator is out running the pump, pressure decreasing as door closes. If this is the case we might be able to use an accumulator to add air volume.
Otherwise we need a larger capacity pump to swing the door closed.

This is the Newmar installed door not the Braun lift.
During delivery we went around in circles trying to get this door to close reliably for three days. Any breeze interferes with operation. We ran out of time at delivery.
I am trying to find a work around for when we go up for warranty work in the Spring. A bigger compressor might work but will need to watch electrical draw so as to not cause wiring over load.
Spoke with Casey, Newmar Pres, when we were in the Keys regarding this among other items. I'll follow up with him either at Tampa, the International Rally or when in Nappanee next.
This unfortunately is a common problem with this door setup on newer models.
The ideal test would be to watch the air pressure as the door closes to see if the door actuator is out running the pump, pressure decreasing as door closes. If this is the case we might be able to use an accumulator to add air volume.
Otherwise we need a larger capacity pump to swing the door closed.
Curious Question:
Have a friend with a Canyon Star "3911", which I know you had previously, and she only mentioned their lift was slow in closing. No mention about a "closing" issue. Did you have this issue on your "3911", or is it unique to the Dutch Star.
Casey seems like he would get involved, and get this corrected, not just for you, but for all future Newmar "xx11" models!

Have a friend with a Canyon Star "3911", which I know you had previously, and she only mentioned their lift was slow in closing. No mention about a "closing" issue. Did you have this issue on your "3911", or is it unique to the Dutch Star.
Casey seems like he would get involved, and get this corrected, not just for you, but for all future Newmar "xx11" models!

We did not have this issue with the Canyon Star. That lift door once adjusted work well.

This appears to be a new issue with the 2023/2024? lift doors. The CanyonStar 3911 is no longer offered. This is a known issue with the DSDP 4311 possibly other accessible models as well. When discussed the issue with the service writer at NIVRC, he immediately knew of the issue and the "Door Open" solution.

If wind conditions cause the problem. And you talk about faster operation allowing the door to swing shut. Maybe an accumulator may help. However I wonder if a higher pressure, or larger cylinder/actuator is what it needs. Angle of attack may also be the problem.

I would first try higher air pressure, and see what it does.

If wind conditions cause the problem. And you talk about faster operation allowing the door to swing shut. Maybe an accumulator may help. However I wonder if a higher pressure, or larger cylinder/actuator is what it needs. Angle of attack may also be the problem.

I would first try higher air pressure, and see what it does.
Thought I might add more of my thoughts, although not an answer to your problem exactly.

When I designed machines for my shop, I found air to be less desirable to oils as oils don't compress. At the end of the stroke was as solid as any other location of the stroke. Was self lubricating, and what you are having for a problem is much less problematic.

But then reliability was my concern rather than cost!!!

Latest resources

Back