Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dan_Frisbie

RVF VIP
I did a search for this, but didn't find much recent info.
We are headed to East Tennessee from Pensacola, FL in the Spring. Lenior City is about 8-9 hours with a stop or two, just a little too much for one day of travel.
In the past for overnights, we have stopped in campgrounds, but I am considering staying in an interstate rest area for the night instead of finding a campground.
Specifically, the I-59 Northbound rest area north of Birmingham, AL.
Any ideas, experiences?

Get there by 3 pm, or you won't find a spot. Some are better than others—lots of idling trucks typically. Know the state rules regarding rest areas and how long you can stay. Most are 8 hours, it seems. I use IOverlander to see my options for an overnight stay or HH if you are a member. Rest areas can be tight and packed, and getting out early can be challenging in a 45-foot coach with a toad, along with some of the undesirables that show up there.

If you have Harvest Host, Hodges Vineyard has 4 full hook up sites with no charge. It may be a stop sooner than you wanted. It's southeast of Birmingham.

Hodges Vineyards & Tasting Room​

230 County Rd 71, Camp Hill, AL 36850

Use Harvest Host. Join if you are not a member it is well worth it we have been using for over 5 years

Each state is different about overnight parking in rest areas. As you probably know Florida does not allow it, but Alabama does. When I looked on google maps I only saw 1 rest stop. You do have a better selection of Walmarts. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpeg
    IMG_0676.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0677.png
    IMG_0677.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
We've stayed at Bass Pro Shop in Leeds.

Our friend is a big burly fellow who drives 18 Wheelers for a living and he states he would NEVER stop at a rest area overnight.

Have been sleeping in rest areas all of my life -mostly on the east coast, out as far as the Midwest, south as far as Ga. Never asked to leave. I always stay the entire night.

The DC snipers were arrested in a rest area. Just sayin’. 😇

The DC snipers were arrested in a rest area. Just sayin’. 😇
In DC.
No one’s gonna get away with that kinda crap in Alabama. That car would have been shot by a redneck with a sniper rifle after one incident.

(Ever notice that communities that love firearms and freedom seldom have these type of problems?)

Latest resources

Back