Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Amazon Echo Show 5 Night Mode Issue (orange text)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
One of my fav gadgets is the Amazon Echo which I have everywhere and the Echo Show 5 is ideal for your RV bedroom as a night stand clock and all the other features Echo's provide such as music, home control (smart plugs and other things like WiFi thermostats in your S&B, lights, etc.). I created an under cabinet mount and 3D printed it so it is 3M 2 inch dual lock reclosable fastener up under my bedroom TV area so it's not taking up counter space and is visible from bed, etc. A problem though has been it's not sensing light properly maybe from my mount or maybe due to some other issue such as mounting under a cabinet instead of sitting on a table. It should show orange text at night but it's been lighting up and showing my select background images, etc. Enough already, I had to figure this out. So I did:

Go to Settings > Home & Clock > Night Mode. Review the settings here and set a time window that is night, the scheduled option is key here. The next critical item is near the bottom with the option of using the scheduled time or sense light. The sense light option is the problem so switch this to the scheduled option and the problem is solved.

Note: Amazon does not handle time zone changes well. When changing the device location which changes the time zone you would think the time windows for do not disturb would remain the same. They don't! They shift by the time zone change difference so be sure anytime changing location to check your do not disturb and night time windows.

Thanks Neal, mine does the same, so I’ll check it right now and see if taking it off of Light Sensing helps. I’ll also watch the DND time shift issue as well.

Last edited:
Just today I purchased a couple of of Smart Home bulbs to work with the Echo. Chose Philips led smart home bulbs and plan to have them on a schedule, basically a fancy wifi driven timer. I'll let you know how this works out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R2MQ2PY/?tag=rvf01-20

Hope they work well. I chose to use smart plugs instead and plug lamps into these. Pretty cool how you can have them set for sunrise/sunset etc. or other schedules as you wish. I use these now in place of light timers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZEEFNX/?tag=rvf01-20

Got the plug as well as two bulbs. They all work well. Very happy with the new Smart Home gadgets:)

Go to Settings > Home & Clock > Night Mode. Review the settings here and set a time window that is night, the scheduled option is key here. The next critical item is near the bottom with the option of using the scheduled time or sense light. The sense light option is the problem so switch this to the scheduled option and the problem is solved.
Thanks for the fix @Neal. Finally got around to trying to figure this thing out. I can now check this off my list. ?

Latest resources

Back