RV Year
RV Make
Forest River Sandpiper
RV Model
365SAQB
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
I've pulled a 35 ft. TT for years but I'm getting ready to trade the TT on a 42 ft. Forest River Sandpiper 5th wheel that I estimate will be around 14k loaded. My truck is a short/standard bed Chevy 3500 SRW with a low profile toolbox. I have to buy a hitch and I've been researching different ones. You can't do a Google search of 5th wheel hitches without seeing the Andersen. They have mostly good reviews and I really like the idea of being able to easily take it in and out of the truck and the quick setup. But I've read several reports of them failing when having to slam on brakes or stop hard, or when being involved in even a slow.speed front end collision. Has anyone that uses or used the Andersen had any experience with failure of the hitch?

I have an Andersen Ultimate that I use with a 2022 Chev. 3500HD SB. I pull a 16,000 toy hauler. I have had no issues with the hitch. I have seen a couple of pics. of failures, but any hitch will fail under the right circumstances. There have not been enough incidents that this has become a safety issue that would be noticed by any govt. agency, and if it were an issue, you can bet that the govt. would want to get involved.

I have an Andersen Ultimate that I use with a 2022 Chev. 3500HD SB. I pull a 16,000 toy hauler. I have had no issues with the hitch. I have seen a couple of pics. of failures, but any hitch will fail under the right circumstances. There have not been enough incidents that this has become a safety issue that would be noticed by any govt. agency, and if it were an issue, you can bet that the govt. would want to get involved.
That's what I keep going back and forth about. The positive reviews far outweigh the negatives and I like you have also thought that if it was a serious safety issue then they wouldn't still be selling them or at least a recall would have been issued. But after seeing the pics of the hitch buckling and/or ball shearing off, I'm having a hard time having a good feeling about trusting it with my family, as well as truck and camper with it. But real world feedback like yours is exactly what I'm looking for to help me make up my mind.

If it will put you mind more at ease, look up failures on other brands of hitches. I am sure you will find a few no matter the brand or style.

If it will put you mind more at ease, look up failures on other brands of hitches. I am sure you will find a few no matter the brand or style.
I hadn't thought of that. I'm sure any hitch can fail given the right circumstances. I guess the Andersen is just the only one I kept seeing pop up with failures. Particularly when having to stop suddenly (which could easily happen). I'll do a little more research on failures with other hitches.

I use a BW hitch for both 5th wheel and goose neck trailers and it leaves my bed completely unencumbered when not in use. I’m really satisfied with it but they might have some failure report too - never checked.

If you look closely at the pics of the Andersen failure, it appears that it is the same failure taken from different angles.

Looking at the design, I would avoid the Andersen and go with the B&W companion.

The issue appears to be when doing hard braking, and the weight of the 5th wheel pushing against the aluminum structure.

The B&W companion is OEM for Dodge RAM, so you know it was put thru a much more rigid test. Just my $0.02

Looking at the design, I would avoid the Andersen and go with the B&W companion.

The issue appears to be when doing hard braking, and the weight of the 5th wheel pushing against the aluminum structure.

The B&W companion is OEM for Dodge RAM, so you know it was put thru a much more rigid test. Just my $0.02
I think I have decided to do exactly that. I have just seen and heard too much now to trust the Andersen. I asked this same question over on Duramaxforum.com and a member provided a personal example, with pictures, of an Andersen hitch failure due to a sudden stop with no impact. I am going to go with the B&W Companion slider. Just trying to decide between the one that mounts in the turnover ball slot in the center of the bed or the one that uses the puck system.

Latest resources

Back