Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Any experience with suspension enhancement systems?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TeeJay72

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
KZ
RV Model
Connect Spree
RV Length
30 ft
Fulltimer
No
I tow with a Ram 1500 and with the coil springs the suspension seems rather mushy when under the load of my travel trailer. I am considering installing the Timbren SES to the truck. Anyone have any experience with this system? Is it worthwhile?

I have a pair for sale for a GMC... I thought that they would be the answer to sag. Under load my truck would ride just about .75'' above them with about 2500lbs in the bed. Upon suspension compression they were like an extremely stiff bump stop, a very jarring ride. They actually take the place of the original bump stops and are quite easy to install. I removed them and installed a set of Air Lift airbags. I chose the larger rated 7500 series because I wanted ride height control with cushioned dampening. I felt a larger air spring could be run at a lower pressure and still achieve a compliant ride quality and maintain ride height control. The larger air springs were the answer for me, I run them at around 23 psi and they level the truck nicely and are very compliant.

I tow with a Ram 1500 and with the coil springs the suspension seems rather mushy when under the load of my travel trailer. I am considering installing the Timbren SES to the truck. Anyone have any experience with this system? Is it worthwhile?
You might want to visit a CAT scale next time you are traveling to see what load the axles are carrying. This will give you are starting point.

after much research i decided to go with a air bag type helper spring that installs inside of the coil springs, will let you know how they work out

Personally airbags have, as noted above, a negative effect on ride and handling. The stiffer suspension due to the bags at one end of a vehicle alters the handling characteristics considerably. When modifying a suspension the entire suspension must be taken into consideration in my opinion.

Coil springs are used on the Ram 1500 to give a comfy ride and the cost is in load carrying capabilities. It is why Ram used leaf springs on the 2500 and 3500 pickups. Only real fix is to add air bags and hope for the best. The other devices only serve to reduce the range of travel of the axle which is a minor fix but less expensive than the air bags.

I assume you installed a weight distributing hitch but if not this is what I would do first in your place. If there was still a problem I would add the air bags or consider a different truck, one with leaf springs in the rear.

Well after many google searches reading reviews and youtube videos i did go with the Timbrens. I installed them today and on the initial test drives they seem like they might work for me. i started with no load and of course this was fine. i then loaded 6 chuncks of wood , i would guess about 200lbs. This brought the the Timbrens to within about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch above the stops and went out looking for some bumpy roads which is not that hard to find. Initial trial is positive, am looking forward to hooking up to my camper and see how the truck reacts. I do have a weight distribution hitch with sway control and really my truck handles the trailer pretty well. I was just looking for something that would make the towing experience even better. I do have access to a licensed scale and will make sure all weights are within limits. Thanks for all the responses, will give updates as time goes on

I see some 3/4 ton ram trucks have coil springs ? wondering, would that be the answer?

Latest resources

Back