Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Anybody know what causes this: Slide starts out and at a crooked angle, but straightens when in or out all the way

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Alan Hagen

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Forest River Wildwood
RV Model
178BHS-KX Platinum
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
We have a new 2020 Forest River Wildwood 178BHSKx Platinum Edition travel trailer we bought four months ago. We've had it out on trips 3 times. The last wo times I noticed that when starting to put the slide out or in, in goes crooked at an angle, maybe 5 degrees, but straightens out when its all the way out, same for bringing it in. It stays at an angle until just before it's all the way in or out, then the lagging side catches up.

We called the dealer for a service appointment, but they are booked for months. Has anyone else seen this issue, or have knowledge on what could be causing it, and how serious this is?

I sprayed slide lube on the outside side rails, but it didn't change anything. One person has suggested at looking under the slide at the sliding bars, but it seems inaccessible, no screws or bolts to the bottom panel that I can see...

Does anyone else's slide do this?

Thanks for any clues!

Are they shwintek slides? When last did you lubricate the motors, if they are? When last have you lubricated the slide seals. Are the seals binding on one side?

Are they shwintek slides? When last did you lubricate the motors, if they are? When last have you lubricated the slide seals. Are the seals binding on one side?

It's a brand new trailer, so I haven't done anything with it yet. Not sure what brand the slide is, will check the documentation and see it there is anything that says. Doesn't look like they are binding, but I will check again.

It may simply need adjustment. I would presume it has a cogwheel drive mechanism that moves both sides with a common motor. One cogwheel may be slightly out of synch with the other. That would still allow it to run the slide in and out without binding, but might show a little side-to-side offset when not fully in or out.

SInce it is a brand new trailer, I would take it back to the dealer for diagnosis and correction.

TJ

We’ve had our NoBo for 6 months. A local service guy told me that we have Schwintek slides, and that when extending or retracting, I should let the motor(s) run a few seconds after the slide stops moving, in order to allow the motors to synchronize. That made sense to me, and I have more confidence in him than in the dealership guy who did our worthless walk-through. Find some advice on one of the forums for what you should expect/demand before you drive away.

Latest resources

Back