Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
When you are sitting on your site and a new arrival pulls/backs in do you get up and go over and introduce yourself? Or, do you let them get set up prior to approaching them or talking to them?

We had a long run yesterday so we could get to our winter site before dark. We made it in plenty of time and I was just going to accomplish the basic set up, which for us is time consuming. It includes unloading the car from our trailer, setting up the softener, and a couple other extra duties.

I am only about half way done with the utility hook up and our neighbor returns to their site. I guess since they also have a Newmar they felt they should come right over and start a conversation. The DW and I have been this route before and have a routine. Instead of both of us standing around chewing the fat for 30 minutes or so and not getting set up she knows to handle the social contacts so I can continue getting our home situated.

Do you rush right over to welcome a new camping neighbor as soon as they pull in, or do you ignore them and wait until they are settled in?

I wait for people to get setup and settled in. We are all in a routine, a sort of checklist, and disrupting that can cause people to make mistakes. The same question applies when someone may need help getting into a site, do you offer? Some people like myself are solo. While they may realize and I may tell them no thanks I have a camera, there are situations with trees or hazards where help is appreciated. I'd say most of the time people just watch and don't offer to actually help with the parking or exiting for that matter.

It's a tough situation as the personalities vary. I think you have to balance it so as not to get in the way but being cordial is always nice. I had a situation recently where I was in a SP and I was close to a fence, a very odd U shaped type pull through. I learned my lesson once on tail swing so I asked my neighbor for help to get out of the site. He was cool and actually put ear buds in and called me, I did the same as I had ear buds (air pods) and that worked great for comms. Different scenario from your question on the meet and greet but something to share.

I usually just wave to acknowledge them and then let them get on with their setup routine. As @Neal said, most of us have set routines and when they get interrupted, mistakes get made.

When someone comes over before I'm finished setting up, I just say "hello" and keep on with my setup routine. If they persist, I'll say "I've just got a few more things to do here and then I'd love to sit down and get acquainted."

That has worked well for me over the years.

TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back