Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
In March I'll be venturing my way back east to warmth! I'll be leaving Palm Creek and heading to Gaffney for my annual FL service. I have about 3 weeks of travel time. What do you suggest I see along the path back east? I do NOT need to straight line this, I can venture south or north. What highlights along this path do you suggest I explore?

We wandered down that direction a couple years ago. Here are a few of our observations.

Las Cruces, NM - great Mexican food in the Old Town (Mesilla)

San Antonio, TX - The Alamo was interesting (much smaller than I had imagined) and the River Walk restaurants.

Austin, TX - bright, interesting city with good BBQ and craft beer.

New Orleans, LA - great food!

OK, OK...my suggestions all revolve around food and drink. What's wrong with that?

TJ

The only advice I can offer is what I have read as I have not left the great Western States yet. The only words of wisdom I can offer is stay away from I-10 in major cities like Houston and Lafayette, LA specifically are two locations I have read about. There is the rush hour traffic along with a lot of construction going on. There is more detail over "there" in routing and navigation and a specific thread on 1-10 issues.

I’ll skip New Mexico, as I believe you’ve seen a lot of that...the Oklahoma City Memorial of the Murrah building bombing is one of the most moving memorials I’ve been to. Maybe more so to me, as that’s my home town. They also have one of the top zoos in the country. Lots to see & do in the Dallas-Ft Worth area, tons of great museums, plus yours truly, and I believe @redbaron, too. I would also recommend Louisville, KY & environs...my wife took me there last year for an art festival, as she got her masters degree there...great food, & bourbon.

I have to second @TJ&LadyDi on New Orleans...amazing food & history. Lastly, the Blue Ridge Parkway...just beautiful.

Nashville would be one of my suggestion along with others have stated. Asheville area is close to Gaffney, SC if you haven’t been.

Nashville would be one of my suggestion along with others have stated. Asheville area is close to Gaffney, SC if you haven’t been.
Oh, yes...the Biltmore mansion in Asheville is just amazing...

I like the route TJ takes...following the food and drink. LOL

Las Cruces, NM

Kerrville, TX (be sure to visit Fredericksburg - interesting history) : Take Elli for a walk at Louise Hays Park. You can also take her to the The Coming King Sculpture Prayer Garden which is a nice place to visit. Grape Juice is a must for tapas and great wine. They also have craft beer. In Fredericksburg, go to the Pioneer Museum Complex (don't miss the short film), if you want to get your pulse up climb the Enchanted Rock (it's great), The National Museum of the Pacific War is on my "to do" list. Hopefully, I'll go there as I head to AZ next week from NC.

I avoid San Antonio now and prefer to get to the hill country, but I did go there and did all the things: the Alamo, Riverwalk, Missions. If you do go and if you stay at the KOA, be forewarned about the burrs. It was an ordeal walking the dogs there and the 20 minutes afterwards getting the burrs out of their paws and body.

Breaux Bridge, LA (do a swamp tour). I used Champagne Swamp Tour (I admit I thought I was going to get a glass of champagne on the tour and that's why I booked with them ?. No champagne, but the tour was great. Who doesn't like to be on the water with huge magnificent trees and huge rat looking animals. The gators were hibernating when I went so I didn't see any. What an incredible ecosystem....so clean and the trees repel mosquitoes.

Orange Beach, AL or Foley, AL (so much to eat and do. If you go there I spent 5 weeks there and can give you a list of restaurants and things to do, places to see. And of course you have to have the obligatory Bushwhacker.

Tallahassee, FL (overnight at HH at the Automobile Museum which is amazing)

and go up coast and visit Savannah or If want a more direct path, skip Tallahassee and go through Auburn which surprisingly has a wooded CG that is right off the highway with pull throughs along the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back