Adventurer
RV Length
Chassis
Chevy P30
Engine
454 Vortac
Fulltimer
Yes
Got a dilemma I just checked the ATF level and the dipstick shows nothing, I have quarts arriving on Fri and I don’t have a single quart to add, I need to do a holding tank dump it would be less than 10 minutes with motor running can I get away with it without burning up the transmission?

Last edited:
Did you check it with the engine running. That is the proper way to check it. Make sure you are level also.

When they are too low they start slipping. If yours isnt slipping its probably ok to run it for a bit. Probably….If its somewhat low but not slipping, all you are losing is cooling ability. Probably….

But if you are checking it correctly and its really that low, you need to find out why and not just keep adding and hoping it will be ok. That will likely leave you stranded eventually.

Unless I'm misinformed, ATF is either in the pan or on the ground. So either you have had a leak that went unnoticed, or it hasn't been full since the last fill up. That being said I would not drive it until I filled the transmission per the manual. You may do damage that wasn't necessary. You need to find out where your ATF went? Buy a couple quarts at the local auto store then go dump if you must, but don't drive it dry...IMHO

When they are too low they start slipping. If yours isnt slipping its probably ok to run it for a bit. Probably….If its somewhat low but not slipping, all you are losing is cooling ability. Probably….

But if you are checking it correctly and its really that low, you need to find out why and not just keep adding and hoping it will be ok. That will likely leave you stranded eventually.
Well I was repairing a leak in a transmission cooler line and lost at least a couple quarts I added about a quart so that must be why I’m low, thanks for the tips.

Engine running and level.
Did you check it with the engine running. That is the proper way to check it. Make sure you are level also.

Unless I'm misinformed, ATF is either in the pan or on the ground. So either you have had a leak that went unnoticed, or it hasn't been full since the last fill up. That being said I would not drive it until I filled the transmission per the manual. You may do damage that wasn't necessary. You need to find out where your ATF went? Buy a couple quarts at the local auto store then go dump if you must, but don't drive it dry...IMHO
Had to repair a cooler line it went on the ground.

well if you know it's only a couple quarts, then yes its safe to drive. If its possible that its lower than that, then Id add some first.

I kind of hate to advise anyone to do other than park. Automatics are hydraulic machines and without fluid...

But anyway. My thought would be to fire up the engine. Don't wait to warm it up, put it in gear. Does it engage noticeably and normally in Drive and Reverse? If so, I wouldn't have an issue puttering along at campground speeds for a bit.
Now if it does nothing or you have to rev the engine a bit before it engages then nope. Wait for fluid.

I kind of hate to advise anyone to do other than park. Automatics are hydraulic machines and without fluid...

But anyway. My thought would be to fire up the engine. Don't wait to warm it up, put it in gear. Does it engage noticeably and normally in Drive and Reverse? If so, I wouldn't have an issue puttering along at campground speeds for a bit.
Now if it does nothing or you have to rev the engine a bit before it engages then nope. Wait for fluid.
Glad to say I've been off island 6 miles back and forth with no issues, except brakes heating up but that's another issue.

Latest resources

Back