Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Yukon Denali
Fulltimer
Yes
Warning: See map and avoid this route. The road is very bad once you get to Colorado. It is severely damaged with unavoidable deep pot holes. I got a flat on my toad, lost my comfort drive, jacks aren't working and have a water leak in wet bay. Good times.

IMG_1164.jpeg

Warning: See map and avoid this route. The road is very bad once you get to Colorado. It is severely damaged with unavoidable deep pot holes. I got a flat on my toad, lost my comfort drive, jacks aren't working and have a water leak in wet bay. Good times.

View attachment 19140
That’s it? Sounds like a normal rv travel day. Obviously kidding @ARD. So sorry to hear about your nasty trip to Granby🤬. Glad you’re in a safe spot and hope you get the coach problems sorted out reasonably quickly.

Holy smokes!

Did you pass any other motorhomes along the way? Thanks for the heads-up and hope you can get things fixed.

FLSteve

I haven’t pulled our trailer through it, but I bet 550 from Montrose to Durango is fun in an RV.
I haven't pulled a trailer through it either but I've pulled my GMC Canyon with my motorhome through it and it is a little dicey at times.

Did you pass any other motorhomes along the way? Thanks for the heads-up and hope you can get things fixed.

FLSteve
No. I had planned to take the route towards Craig and through Steamboat Springs, but Garmin routed me the way I went. The roads were not bad in Wyoming and I saw few vehicles. The roads in Colorado were atrocious. There were work trucks, pick ups, cars traveling on the road, but not many.

They did have signs warning of the damaged roads, but that didn't help once you were already on them other than to alert you to adjust your speed. I was trucking along at 35 mph and was 15 mins away from the campground when my toad's PSI went from 33 to 4 within seconds.

I already have 4 new tires on my car. My comfort drive seems to be okay now after resetting it. Working on the rest. 😊

I haven't pulled a trailer through it either but I've pulled my GMC Canyon with my motorhome through it and it is a little dicey at times.

I’ve driven it and rode my bike (bicycle) through it. Good times.

Colorado Department of Transportation​

While the pothole problem exists in Grand County, most fingers are pointed at the Colorado Department of Transportation. That is because CDOT manages and maintains 823 miles of state highways in Grand County, including U.S. 40, U.S. Highway 34, Colorado Highway 9, Colorado Highway 125 and Colorado Highway 134 at Gore Pass.

CDOT says its been repairing potholes as best it can with a cold mix that doesn’t require temperatures to be above freezing like hot asphalt repairs do. The department acknowledges it is a temporary fix, but until the freeze-thaw cycle ends in Grand County, repairs with hot asphalt can’t occur.

“Cold mix is designed to be a bandaid,” said CDOT Section 6 Deputy Superintendent Spencer Dickey in an interview. “A lot of these potholes will get a more permanent patch in the summer.”

Dickey explains that if a pothole is repaired before freezing temperatures end, the repair will end up ruined because the material won’t properly adhere. In addition, when temperatures drop, the water freezes inside the pothole and hydrological forces can cause the repair to crack or burst open.

“Grand County is particularly challenging because it is almost in perpetual ice,” Dickey said during an interview on April 3. “Last week we patched through the Town of Granby and it snowed, and now the potholes are back.”

In addition, the department says it’s received an increase in reports about potholes in the Winter Park area, but the stretch of highway has also seen a big increase in traffic over the last few years, which may be a contributing factor. CDOT’s Region 3 customer service team received more than 100 complaints about potholes on the U.S. 40 in Grand County from Jan. 1, to April 6.

Latest resources

Back