Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DMan1717

RVF Regular
Over the past years we have had numerous RV's. Whether it be a travel trailer or a fifth wheel like we have now, every time we pull out I hear this terrible noise coming from the rear axles.It sounds like a metallic clunk and it bothers me every time I hear it. It may be because the straight axle does not have a differential to compensate for the inner wheels and the outer wheels rotating at different speeds?

It's a noise going around corners so my thoughts might be correct? Does anyone have an answer? And, is this something to be concerned about?

DMan

Rear axles? You mean as in more than one or do you mean the trailer axles? If it is the trailer axles, then you need to jack up each wheel and inspect everything. If you mean the rear axle of the towing vehicle, then I suggest you inspect the drive line (U-joints, carrier bearing, etc). If no problem found there, change oil in the rear end. See how much debris is in it and inspect everyting in it you can.

I will assume you are speaking about the axles on your fiver. It is normal to hear some clunking and popping when turning sharply at slow speeds. Generally speaking these are just a couple straight axles being forced around tight corners. If it was just a single axle you probably wouldn't hear much of anything.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back