Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Backup Alarm Failure - Replace with a Smart Alarm??

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

flyboy013

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4531
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins ISX12 (500HP)
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep GC Summit Reserve
Fulltimer
Yes
Arrived at CG near Savanah GA last night and the DW backed the coach into the site. Afterwards she asked if I had disconnected the backup alarm. At the time (while directing her), I hadn’t noticed that the 107 dB sound was missing.

Today after checking the fuse, I disconnected the wire connector to the alarm and applied power direct to the alarm. Sure enough the alarm is kaput. What a shame :).

I’ve been looking at replacements for the ECCO 575 backup alarm and noticed that ECCO makes a Smart Alarm (SA950) which will automatically adjust to a minimum of 5 dB above the ambient noise level. The minimum dB is 82 dB which is what I would expect the output to be when backing in at most campgrounds. That’s 25 dBs less than the OEM backup alarm.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this (or other) smart backup alarms? Also, while the form factor for the SA950 is the same as the OEM 575, the unit has screw terminals for the power connections as oppose to using a waterproof connector.

So about two weeks ago I replaced the backup alarm. Since the backup alarms are actually mounted in the engine compartment, I decided a smart alarm that sounds at x decibels above the current engine noise level wasn’t a good idea.

I ended up replacing it with the ECCO 505. Its from the same manufacturer of the OEM alarm, but 20 decibels quieter (87 dB instead of 107 dB). I just got around to testing it as I didn’t want to unnecessary sound the alarm while parked here. All is good. I’ll enjoy the quieter alarm.

Does the alarm take power directly from the reverse lights circuit or is it connected to 12v through a solenoid triggered by the reverse lights?

The alarm has two wires running to it 12V positive and ground. When 12V is present, the alarm sounds. I have not traced the wires to see if they come from a relay, solenoid, or a tap into the the backup lights, although .... I do recall that there was a separate circuit/fuse at the rear Spartan PDM that referenced the backup alarm and I believe some portion of the trailer light.

Latest resources

Back