Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Basement vs Rooftop AC - can you run house AC while traveling with rooftop models?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bpaikman

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3436
RV Length
35 feet
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
Our only experience is with a basement AC in our old Winnebago Journey (36 ft Class A diesel) - never had issues with it. We live in Texas where temperatures can reach well over 100 F during the day. We hung black shower curtains between the cab and the house (a wonderful idea - more at end) to help with the cab cooling, but even with the windshield fans, when the outside temps were over 95 degrees, we kicked on the generator, waited 30 min (we were advised to do that, to ‘establish a field’) and then turned on thenhouse AC. It would wcool things down within minutes.
Now we’re looking at a DP that apparently has rooftop AC. Are these as good? Can they be run while traveling?
Andt btw, despite having our cab AC worked on a few times, it was never able to handle temps above 90 very well.
About the curtains, we chose plastic shower curtains because they’re lightweight and cheap, and better for our allergies....black so they wouldn’t glare off the windshield, and didn’t show from the outside. They provided an extra layer of privacy - sometimes my husband liked to sit and watch the view out front, but I had my privacy in the coach.
I had to order an extra-long tension rod for it, but it held up for years.
We stole the idea early on.

We run our roof top A/C units all the time. The dash A/C just can't cool such a huge space!

Our only experience is with a basement AC in our old Winnebago Journey (36 ft Class A diesel) - never had issues with it. We live in Texas where temperatures can reach well over 100 F during the day. We hung black shower curtains between the cab and the house (a wonderful idea - more at end) to help with the cab cooling, but even with the windshield fans, when the outside temps were over 95 degrees, we kicked on the generator, waited 30 min (we were advised to do that, to ‘establish a field’) and then turned on thenhouse AC. It would wcool things down within minutes.
Now we’re looking at a DP that apparently has rooftop AC. Are these as good? Can they be run while traveling?
Andt btw, despite having our cab AC worked on a few times, it was never able to handle temps above 90 very well.
About the curtains, we chose plastic shower curtains because they’re lightweight and cheap, and better for our allergies....black so they wouldn’t glare off the windshield, and didn’t show from the outside. They provided an extra layer of privacy - sometimes my husband liked to sit and watch the view out front, but I had my privacy in the coach.
I had to order an extra-long tension rod for it, but it held up for years.
We stole the idea early on.
I do all the time because I keep pets in the trailer.

Latest resources

Back