RV Length
38 feet
Chassis
Workhorse
Engine
GM Vortec 8.1
Fulltimer
Yes
I am trying to upgrade my coach for off-grid on a tight budget. My coach does not have an inverter so I am going to get one (looking at Aims 2000w) to go with 4 new 6V 220w GC batteries and 200w suitcase solar (for now). But I don't know if (and if so, how) the inverter can be tied into the onboard system to power the AC outlets insted of running a cord to each appliance. Not easy running wiring from the basement into the coah, everything is so well sealed. I can't even find a convenient 12v source to power my OGO composting toilet. An info appreciated!

Well sunset!
Have you tried to run your AC on a 2000w inverter generator? To avoid disappointment you should!
@Neal Made an assessment of his investment in solar that you should read.

although Neal's system is much more complex than mine, mine is another 1000 watts larger than his.

Although lithium technology may get you through the night, it will come down to how your filling the batteries back up for the next night. Sooner or later you have to pay the piper!!!

On a budget one might consider used panels as I have done.

If the inverter is a low frequency, low voltage unit, then it may handle the starting current requirements of your ac, but it may not. Aims Sells both styles of inverter, so you need to check.

I have been off grid for 23 years. 2006 I started living on solar! I have no allusions about what I can expect, and I don't expect to run AC off solar with only what I can hang on the rig.

Thanks for your insights, Kevin. I have assumed all along that the only way I will get A/C is with the generator, so I hope the fan system does the bull work. I expect to turn off ot refrain from using high energy appliances and using one item at a time unless i have the generator running. I am fortunate that the genny on my rig is very quiet.
I would add that it finally got through my skull that the output from the inverter simply goes into the power imput on the bus. D'oh!

I have 6 200+AH batteries - granted they are agm, not lithuim, with a 2000w inverter. Would not even try touse A/C on battery powerx. I am anovicevwith electricity, but 2000w/120v =16.67 A.

Interested to know how much would be needed to run A/A without a generator.

I picked up a Lion Safari ME Recertified (2,000W Cont/4,000W Surge) and it starts/runs my A/C fine. Our single A/C unit draws about 1100 Watts and the Safari ME has 922Wh (w/o a Recertified ME Expansion Battery Pack), so I’m estimating it could run the A/C for around half an hour or so, just enough to cool it off in the evenings. With the add’L Battery Pack, it might run ~2hrs or so.

Having an AC Voltage Supply while boondocking, just gives us a few more options to choose from...on a limited basis. 😉

I have 6 200+AH batteries - granted they are agm, not lithuim, with a 2000w inverter. Would not even try touse A/C on battery powerx. I am anovicevwith electricity, but 2000w/120v =16.67 A.

Interested to know how much would be needed to run A/A without a generator.
So back in the day! I had a 21ft silver trailer with a 5000btu window shaker mounted behind the propane tanks and over 4 flooded 105 6v batteries.
Not a common practice I pushed the batteries till my inverter kicked out. I could get 4 hrs of ac. Not that I can remember the ac numbers, I do know my poor boy generator, at not much over idle would keep her cooling all day long. My guess is 500 watts of solar would almost keep it running during the heat of the day.

That is a good(but educated) guess. A 13,500 btu unit will pull around 13 amps without a fan. So 5000 would be around 5 amps and 500/12v is 420 amps. Not allowing for efficiency of course and losses. You've been at this awhile Pem.

That is a good(but educated) guess. A 13,500 btu unit will pull around 13 amps without a fan. So 5000 would be around 5 amps and 500/12v is 420 amps. Not allowing for efficiency of course and losses. You've been at this awhile Pem.
How did you guess?

Latest resources

Back