• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

captwheel

RVF Newbee
I just purchased a

BatteryMINDer 2012: 12 Volt-2 Amp Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Battery Desulfator -​

Can I run the Battery desulfator charger at the same time as the charger in the motor home . Or should I only use the desulfator for winter storage?
Thanks, Phil

I'm not much of a believer in battery de-sulfation - seems like snake oil and perpetual motion motion machines.

What your question suggests to me is that you will also soon boil away the electrolyte in your batteries running two recharging systems.

Rick

Sulfur crystal form when the batteries are not fully charged(lead).
Most desulfator circuitry is designed to produce a spike that in theory breaks up the crystals. They are generally only needed when you let the batteries sit not fully charged for some time, you know if you fall into that group of people. One of those people that falls into that group are those that falsely think 2 hours will charge fully a battery used all night for more than a few lights. The 'c' rating of lead will not allow such a thing.

I would think the converter would negatate the effectiveness of the pulsating circuitry, therefore I wouldn't use them at the same time.

A 2 amp charge maintainer will not boil the battery! It will however, act as a plating circuit to deposit the antimony used to strengthen the plates to the surface of the plates making the battery unable to provide the power stored in them. The exception is pure lead thin plate technology used in some AGM batteries, But this is true with any charging, so I don't recommend leaving any charger on the batteries. My preferred method is a timer that will cycle charging once a month for a days time. With all loads turned off.

Latest resources

Back