• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Battery disconnect for towed vehicle

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Checked with the selected installer today Independent RV in FL, the Roadmaster is what he recommends and had planned on using.
Looking forward to getting this done:)

Off to the base plate/ solenoid installer today with the Flex. How all goes well.

IMG_0429.jpeg

@Joe Goodxrvn

I just had the RoadMaster system installed in my friend's new Denali and it came out PERFECT!

Super simple and clean!!

The button is hidden on the sideboard in the driver's footwell. Piece of cake operation and the ONLY thing that some folks will not like is that...if you LOCK your door, you'll need to USE A MANUAL KEY TO UNLOCK the door. This isn't so fun on some cars that hide the lock behind a cover.

We contemplated mounting a waterproof button, hidden in the grill somewhere. That would be a good option to avoid the UNLOCKING issue.
I also installed the button for the solenoid in the left footwell. To get to it, I must stand outside the door. Therefore the door is open and unlocked. When the button is pushed for the battery to be disconnected, the door is already unlocked and cannot be relocked with the battery disconnected. The only issue is that if you desire that the doors be locked during a tow, another strategy must devised, such as manually locking them, but be sure the key is available when needed.

“The only issue is that if you desire that the doors be locked during a tow, another strategy must devised, such as manually locking them, but be sure the key is available when needed.”

luckily the Flex has an exposed manual key option. Lock doors, and power off, then close door. Open with key.
to your point, alarm is not active during tow operation due to no power.

Has anyone looked at these for battery disconnect for your toad? Family good reviews and blue-toothed. I know there would be some parsidic discharge, but no more than if the battery was connected I would think.

Amazon product ASIN B09WVBHBHG

Has anyone looked at these for battery disconnect for your toad? Family good reviews and blue-toothed. I know there would be some parsidic discharge, but no more than if the battery was connected I would think.

Actually, I bought this! Problem on my truck (2018 GMC) the battery terminal is enclosed in a plastic mold that is part of the battery. So the truck battery cable has a special connector that fits down inside and the disconnect is designed to attach to what I'll call the "normal" terminal location.

So in my case, the disconnect won't work for me, not our of the box anyway. But I think I can modify it, just haven't done so yet.

Looking at various tow behind vehicle, some require the battery to be disconnected while towing. While this can be a simple process or a PIA depending upon the vehicle, has anyone found a simple solution?

I was thinking a simple disconnect solenoid with a switch inside the passenger compartment would be a good solution for this. Also makes a great theft deterrent.

for instance Painless Wiring
I agree with Rich Patty I installed the same charger and love it. I also installed separate taillight and turn signal bulbs in the taillight housing of our F150 powered by the coach system. It was a little work but well worth it.

Those bluetooth transmitters use so little power that when used with a 9v battery the battery will last a month or more! Good find!!!

I guess I'm just too simple. I purchased a knife blade disconnect that I attached to either the positive or negative battery post. I opened the knife blade when the battery needed to be disconnected for towing. This limited my human error factor.

I guess I'm just too simple. I purchased a knife blade disconnect that I attached to either the positive or negative battery post. I opened the knife blade when the battery needed to be disconnected for towing. This limited my human error factor.
Ah common! It's not about the solution, it's about the project!!!

Latest resources

Back